BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you ever have a bolt so stuck that it made you question your life choices? I have now broken a brand new Snap on Socket, a 1/2 inch adapter and a Break free air hammer end. Oh, and I rounded off the ends of course..... I am open to suggestions or I am going to have to cut the swing arm off and get a used one along with some new pivots

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
Did you ever have a bolt so stuck that it made you question your life choices? I have now broken a brand new Snap on Socket, a 1/2 inch adapter and a Break free air hammer end. Oh, and I rounded off the ends of course..... I am open to suggestions or I am going to have to cut the swing arm off and get a used one along with some new pivots
How big of a fire wrench did you use first?

·
Registered
183 Posts
What kind of penetrant are you using and how long did you let it soak? Kinda want to know so that I can cross that one off my Amazon Wish List.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Kirk have you tried a bit of thermal shock. Heat it right up and quickly quench it. It might just free it up enough.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What kind of penetrant are you using and how long did you let it soak? Kinda want to know so that I can cross that one off my Amazon Wish List.
I gave it a good long soaking with deep creep from Seafoam

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
I have a MAP gas torch. I heated it, cooled the stud and no joy.
That is odd. I have never had heat fail. Somebody must have cranked that thing on with a 4’ pipe on a breaker bar.

Reactions: 14wntr

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
If you have a wire feed welder that you own or can borrow/rent, get a nut that will fit over this mess or almost fit over, still allowing a socket into the hole to fit over said nut. Weld it to the pinion head. The heat will shock things. Do it in in stages so not too much heat goes into the threads. Then remove it. This is the last stage before you cut the mess off option. And don't feel bad, I read a thread where someone was in your spot and destroyed the swing arm threads trying to remove it. Then you start looking on EBay.

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A video is coming of this mess.. Here is the result.
For the hell of it I put in a vice and was able to get it to move using a large pipe wrench and my 4' cheater. It took everything I had to get that stupid thing off of there.

Attachments

·
Registered
975 Posts
For the hell of it I put in a vice and was able to get it to move using a large pipe wrench and my 4' cheater. It took everything I had to get that stupid thing off of there.
Had the same issue with mine a while back - but fortunately I was able to get one of them off, then angle the swing-arm down and pull it out. I then had to lash the thing to a palette and use a 4' breaker bar, heat, penetrating oil and and open ended wrench or two (broke my socket) before it let loose. Needless to say it needed replacement as the head was mangled.

Looks like you had a little less luck.... :mad:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I stripped the threads on my 1150GS swingarm trying to remove a near pivot bolt. I was able to source a replacement reasonably affordably and it came with good bearings and bolts too so I wasn't out a lot of cash. I have saved the useless swingarm as a souvenir to remind me to be patient. Playing with those pivot bolts always makes me a bit uneasy. I'm unclear how they get so tight though - it's not like you need lots of torque to install them.

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
I’m guessing it was installed by a bonehead using an impact wrench.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’m guessing it was installed by a bonehead using an impact wrench.
That would be my guess too. Wait until you see what it took to get it to move on the video!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey, this is going to be like the trip Voyager took.. ...Something to look forward to. I thought I was the ONLY person who got into crap like this. At least its off and parts are cheap.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sacrilege....

Next time Weld a massive Nut, bolt, whatever may fit and take it that way with the biggest "persuasion bar" that you can find (disconnect the negative battery pole first for sure)

Maybe the "Tech" coat the whole fastener on locktyde, I have seeing it done before

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wow, in th 50 years I've been working on bikes (pure amature), some of the bikes not new, clean or in good condition, and haven't seen a bolt that stuck that wasn't a rusted mess.

I can't say it would work here but the best solution I've ever seen was a combination of penetrating lube, shock, torque and time. The guy sprayed on the penetrating lube, put a long wench on the bolt, put a heavy stress on the wench and strapped the wrench in place still twisting the bolt. Then he gave the end of the bolt a sharp hit and walked away. He came back and hit it a few times a day. It has been a long time but I think it took a week, maybe a bit more, but the bolt did come free.

Sorry you got into this mess but you now have a great story. If anybody tries to play "I've got a better story than you" you will probably win. If you don't win please forward the other guy's story, I gotta hear that one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts