BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my 12K on my '03 last week, slowly following Paul's DVD's with the Clymer at hand. Everything went fine and I was relieved that things were not as complicated as I feared. That is - until I began to button things back up. As I torqued the bolts on the valve cover, I ran into one that wouldn't tighten. I removed it to find the threads filled with material from the head. Fortunately (I think), the bolt is one on the bottom, in the middle, so it may not be an immediate emergency. I know this bike had at least two previous owners, one or both of which had little mechanical ability. It is obvious that things were removed using improper tools (pliers instead of hex wrenches, for example). Anyone know if these can be tapped or some such? I know aluminum is tricky to work with, but I shudder to think of the cost for a new head.

·
Registered
467 Posts
reggosnell said:
I did my 12K on my '03 last week, slowly following Paul's DVD's with the Clymer at hand. Everything went fine and I was relieved that things were not as complicated as I feared. That is - until I began to button things back up. As I torqued the bolts on the valve cover, I ran into one that wouldn't tighten. I removed it to find the threads filled with material from the head. Fortunately (I think), the bolt is one on the bottom, in the middle, so it may not be an immediate emergency. I know this bike had at least two previous owners, one or both of which had little mechanical ability. It is obvious that things were removed using improper tools (pliers instead of hex wrenches, for example). Anyone know if these can be tapped or some such? I know aluminum is tricky to work with, but I shudder to think of the cost for a new head.

This is the best way in aluminum.

Click

Good Luck!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Heli Coil

I did the same thing and had to go to Napa; bought the tap and coil and it went in just fine. Make sure you start the tap in straight.....

·
Registered
528 Posts
Also don't forget to break the tab off after you install the Heli-Coil. Great product, used them for years when I worked for GM to repair stripped bolt holes in alum. transmission cases.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
patroa1 said:
Also don't forget to break the tab off after you install the Heli-Coil. Great product, used them for years when I worked for GM to repair stripped bolt holes in alum. transmission cases.

Hey, sounds like you and I might be in the same business. Heli-Coils are lifesavers for pan bolts and valve body bolts!!....... :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You can also use a product called Keen serts. They are similar to helicoil but have a thicker wall. Used heli coils and keen serts, both are great life savers.
In your case helicoils are a better bet, just another option.

Zeke

1 - 7 of 7 Posts