BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While attempting to change the final drive oil in my 2005 K1200LT I found the fill pug frozen and have now managed to strip the plug. Any ideas on how to get it out? Can it possibly be refilled using the drain plug with something like you use to fill a Merc outdrive with fluid?

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
You need to use some high quality easy outs. Soak with some good penetrating fluid too. Heat and cold cycle sometimes help. I keep a small bag of new ones around in case it looks doggy. Change the plug if it shows any signs of stretch in the hex hole. That doesn't help you at the moment though. These work better than the tapered ones in tight quarters:
https://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Tools-...rds=easy+outs&qid=1552855304&s=gateway&sr=8-4
Drill out the hex hole and use a larger one than what fits the hex if needed.
(look, I know this sounds tacky but it is important to remove the fill plug first in these situations. Use an allen key that is flat on the bottom, new one if needed. Use a torque wrench on assemble.....all that stuff)
Loctite sells a spray can of penetrant that also freezes and shocks the fitting to let the penetrant seep in. With that crush washer there not much is going to get past it from the outside. Worsts case you may have to through drill but that is the last course of action and requires a serious flush of the final drive and multiple oil changes quickly. Maybe even vice grips on the outside edge of the plug?
There are other ways to step up the violence, die grind a slot across the top of the plug. Careful not to go past the crush washer underneath. Then use a flat nosed punch to drive it CCW out. I used to do this to large lock nuts before I had lots of tools. A very sharp metal chisel on the edge to also drive CCW.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
Lacking any of those tools a good cold chisel will allow you to knock the filler loose, but then you were going to get a new one anyway, right?

Reactions: beech
1 - 3 of 3 Posts