BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to get this this off?? It's located on the top half of the top case and houses the strap that keeps the lid from falling all the way back. The part number is 52537658690 and is held together by 2 Bind Rivets. The strap broke off the stud and wont re track. The part is only $21.00 plus $2.00 for the rivets.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
removing blind rivits

The normal method of getting the rivits out is to get a good sharp (i.e., new) drill bit and a good variable speed drill and slowly drill off the head of the rivit. Once the head is drilled off, push what is left of the rivit through the hole.

Chuck

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,902 Posts
When you get ready to replace it don't drill BOTH rivets at the same time. There is a back up plate behind the rivets that will fall away(and you can't get to it). Do one, rotate the old holder on the remaining rivet. Now shoot the new holder in with one rivet. Then drill the other one out and rotate the new holder down and shoot the last rivet. Think it through so you have everything lined up in your mind how it goes together.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
What John said,
you will not be able to acces or retrieve the backing plate if you lose hold of it,
go carefully

·
Registered
435 Posts
A small flathead screw & nut with two small flat washers works well on mine. All of about 50 cents.

Must have misread the post. Thought you were fixin the strap after it broke... Me bad. :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts