BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While changing all of the fluids on the bike last week (03 LT) I noticed a small amount of gear lube leaking from the front swingarm boot, okay I figured I will need to replace the output seal this winter. I put regular gear lube in thinking, okay not as slippery as synthetic, might not leak as much. That proved to be true, sort of, but now what is leaking is the gear lube mixing with what I can best descibe as something that looks like white lube. The small leak comes mixed with a grayish grease, still smells of gear lube, but it's a grayish color. Could this be a bearing grease mixing with the gear lube.

I called Bob's asking the service manager the question but he hasn't gotten back to me. The leak isn't much, it runs fine, can I drive till winter? What's the grayish substance? Any help will be appreciated!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sounds to me like a miture of gear lube, metal dust, and water.
Your spline coupling is doing alot of mixing of fluids.

When you do your investigation, do not forget to put some moly paste on the spline threads. Honda makes a very good product for this application.

Wolf

·
Registered
714 Posts
Just guessing here. Maybe the trans. fluid is mixing with some of the anti-seize on the spline shafts.

IIRC the Honda product is called Moly 60. I think all the dealers will have this product available.

Good Luck,
Kevin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts