BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled up to my garage, stopped, put the kick stand down, turned the bike off. I dismounted and opened :( :( :( the garage door. Got back on the bike(2006K1200LT) started it, put the kick stand up and put it in gear, it stalled right away. I started it again, tried to put it in gear, stalled. Tried again, this time it did not stall, rode it into the garage. Put it in neutral and hit the power center stand switch, nothing. Tried again, nothing. It acted like it did not have the electrical power to raise the bike. It is a new battery, I keep it on a trickle charger, so I know the battery was not discharged. I let it sit overnight on the trickle charger, tried to start it, nothing, would not even turn over. It was in neutral(green Neutral light was on). Tried again , nothing. Put it in first gear, then back to neutral, pulled in the clutch and it fired right up. I then hit the center stand switch, it raised it right up. I'm thinking maybe it is the kickstand switch(won't allow the bike to be put in gear with the kickstand down). Anyone ever experience this problem? Any insight on what to do? Thanks for any suggestions anyone may have.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
First of all, welcome aboard, you have come to the right place for answers. :wave
I can tell you that there is a side stand switch. The engine will not run if you put it in gear with the side stand down. Perhaps the stand wasn't all the way up? Maybe there is dirt in the switch , maybe it is loose, or maybe you have a defective switch. I would look there first. I cannot help you on the centerstand problem as I do not have one.

Good luck and let us know what you find. :D

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Side stand switch..

John

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,093 Posts
Check the side stand switch. EHCS will only operate with bike in neutral, brakes off, and side stand up.

Most of us check the switch when when park it. Leave it in gear and drop the stand, bike should die. Let out the clutch roll forward to take up slack and lean on the side stand. That way she won't roll off the side stand which she is very well known to do. Never leave her running on the side stand unless you want to learn how to pick her up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I think it was possible the side stand was not all the way up. I really appreciate the tip on not leaving the LT running while on the side stand. I really don't want to learn how to pick her up quite yet. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts