BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the nasty wind, rain, and snow storms we have been having the past several weeks in Washington I haven't been getting much riding in lately. So when I heard a decent weather forecast for last Friday I went riding! I started the bike up on the center stand and was standing right beside it getting the rest of my gear on when I noticed that the rear wheel was spinning slowly forward. I could put my hand on it and stop it but then as soon as I let go it would start spinning again. I went for my ride for a few hours and everything seemed fine. Now I'm worried that maybe there is an expensive service in my near future. Bike has about 15,000 miles on it and has been maintained properly at the dealer. Any body else have this happen?

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Think of it as a dog waggin it's tail,
that's your bikes way of telling you it wants to go for a ride :)

Ok, you want serious answers:
Not something I've ever seen on my LT but then I never start it on the centerstand,
I have noticed the same thing on a couple of the other beemers I have had,
don't really know why, but then I never gave it much thought,
seems logical though, things are spinning around in there,
not something I'd worry about YMMV
Just curious, did it still do it after you rode it awhile?

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Totally and completely "normal". As the fluids warm up, the rear wheel will not spin in Neutral anymore. Get concerned only if you have to hold in the brake when the bike's in Neutral and you're sitting at a stop light. ;)

You should've seen the way my Ninja's rear wheel spun when it was cold.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the quick response! And that's good news. I love this bike and have many more miles planned for it and it is running soooo smooth that I just couldn't imagine that there was anything major wrong. But I had never noticed it doing that before.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just so you know that you're not alone, my 2005 does the same thing. I don't worry about it and went out and pasted some HDs today

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
My '02 does that

My '81 GS1000 did that

My bud's Buell does that

My '88 Ramcharger does that

My ol Toyota Pick 'em up did that

My wife's Cherokee don't do that - automatic tranny.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
yup mine does that too. Like Joe said its normal.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Looks like all of our bikes do this, so one of you tech guys tell us what causes this rotation when the bike is in neutral. The engine vibration?

·
Registered
855 Posts
charlieg said:
Looks like all of our bikes do this, so one of you tech guys tell us what causes this rotation when the bike is in neutral. The engine vibration?
Thick transmission oil.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
charlieg said:
It's the bike saying "Come on already, let's get going. If we don't leave soon, I am -- without you!" :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I noticed mine doing it yesterday too.

For what it's worth, outboard motors will spin the prop slowly when in neutral.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Zotter said:
My '02 does that

My '81 GS1000 did that

My bud's Buell does that

My '88 Ramcharger does that

My ol Toyota Pick 'em up did that

My wife's Cherokee don't do that - automatic tranny.
How does a Ramcharger and Toyota while sitting on the center stand spin the rear wheels. :)

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
motorman587 said:
How does a Ramcharger and Toyota while sitting on the center stand spin the rear wheels. :)
4-wheel drive vehicles, right? Or are they rear-wheel drive until locked into 4WD. Or, are they AWD...which usually has 1 front and 1 rear wheel with power to it at all times. In any case, it's the thick tranny fluids turning the gears that are supposed to be in Neutral. once the fluid warms up and gets thin enough, the tranny stops turning.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine does it too on initial startup, however it does not spin once it warms up. The peculiar characteristic is designed to do just that so that one can tell his LT is running in neutral when participating in a HD Fund Raising event.
Yes, design engineers are really forward thinking!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Serebigal said:
Mine does it too on initial startup, however it does not spin once it warms up. The peculiar characteristic is designed to do just that so that one can tell his LT is running in neutral when participating in a HD Fund Raising event.
Yes, design engineers are really forward thinking!
Very cute
I'm reminded of long ago when I was still a Harley rider,
a friends father stopped by on his BMW, R75
as he was leaving, I asked him : how can you tell if that thing's running?
he leaned towards me, with his hand behind his ear and said:
what..... I can't hear you, my motor's running. :D :D

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
motorman587 said:
Hehehe, wondered who'd catch that. Was gonna come up with some smarty comment about how the '05 electro-hydrolic C-stand can be retrofitted to anything, but think of the storm asking for 'how tos' that'd cause.

Joe, they's all 4x4, rear wheel 4x2 (not AWD), with manual trannys 'n transfers - cept'n that there Jeepie thing my wife drives. It just leaks all over. Mmm, is Jeep related to ..... ??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts