BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed a strange smell when stopping. thought it may be brakes/clutch...hmmm, oil burning on the exhaust?? Coming from under the seat. Goes away quickly upon stopping. No smoke. No oil to be found, does not appear to be coming from the brakes. Clutch seems fine...

Turned off the heat controller and elect seat just to make sure. Still have the problem. Anyone been down this path?

Thanks Ken.

·
Registered
624 Posts
You probably have something sitting on top of your catalytic convertor. That SOB is hot when you're riding and will toast anything that rests on it. Usual culprit is a piece of zip tie that makes its way down to the cat, then melts and burns each time you go for a ride.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tbarstow said:
You probably have something sitting on top of your catalytic convertor. That SOB is hot when you're riding and will toast anything that rests on it. Usual culprit is a piece of zip tie that makes its way down to the cat, then melts and burns each time you go for a ride.
Cat, Cat? Cats are for girls... I have a Remus. But I get the point. I looked over everything just now, and it looks clean but something could be lodged in between. Odd. I willl fire it up in the am and look around. thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had hit a plastic shopping bag that blew under my truck. I was at a stop light and it hit the muffler and stuck to it. Had me going crazy finding the smell for days. Burning plastic is like an electrical burn smell.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,186 Posts
FWIW, I have had an intermittent "burning rubber" smell that I only notice when I park in the garage after a ride. It is not real strong, seems to originate towards the rear of the bike and is not always there. I have done two 12K services and have had all the plastic but the nose cone and dash off the bike and have seen nothing that appears burnt. I have no clue what is causing it.

·
Premium Member
3,125 Posts
Same here. I thought it was tire wear or something. I have checked for rubbing and scuffs on the tire and find none.

jzeiler said:
FWIW, I have had an intermittent "burning rubber" smell that I only notice when I park in the garage after a ride. It is not real strong, seems to originate towards the rear of the bike and is not always there. I have done two 12K services and have had all the plastic but the nose cone and dash off the bike and have seen nothing that appears burnt. I have no clue what is causing it.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
jzeiler said:
I've smelled it too. I actually though I was riding the bike too hard and it was the tires letting me know.

Theres got to be some fluid, insulation, hose whatever contacting the motor or exhaust.

My neighbor once started his car with a CAT asleep under the hood and it was more of a Chicken smell :histerica :histerica

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Tire rubbing on the swing arm?

·
Premium Member
3,125 Posts
Wolfgang said:
Tire rubbing on the swing arm?
Could you elaborate on how that may happen, or what would be cause of that?

I do not smell it all the time. I thought it was just something burning off from manufacturing at first.

Running the last 20 home is highway, and I don't smell it all the time but it could be I just don't take the time.

It does smell like rubber to me but it must be where I can not see it well enough, or on the flat (not really) of the tire, and I cant make it out.

I really thought it was just me, but since others have noticed, I am curious of suspected cause or reason.

I better check tire pressure.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
As the rear tire expands the sidewall can rub lightly on the swingarm. Get on your knees at the right rear and look at the spot where the tire is closest to the swing arm. If you look closely at the tire you may see a shiny ring around the sidewall. There is a wheel spacer available from BMW to correct this.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
hdfan said:
Noticed a strange smell when stopping. thought it may be brakes/clutch...hmmm, oil burning on the exhaust?? Coming from under the seat. Goes away quickly upon stopping. No smoke. No oil to be found, does not appear to be coming from the brakes. Clutch seems fine...

Turned off the heat controller and elect seat just to make sure. Still have the problem. Anyone been down this path?

Thanks Ken.
Did you have beans for lunch? :)

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Tire rubbing on the swing arm

LAF said:
Could you elaborate on how that may happen, or what would be cause of that?

I do not smell it all the time. I thought it was just something burning off from manufacturing at first.

Running the last 20 home is highway, and I don't smell it all the time but it could be I just don't take the time.

It does smell like rubber to me but it must be where I can not see it well enough, or on the flat (not really) of the tire, and I cant make it out.

I really thought it was just me, but since others have noticed, I am curious of suspected cause or reason.

I better check tire pressure.
Lee, this was a common problem with Dunlop rear tires early on. The Dunlops were just a little wider than the Metz's and the Bridgestones, so they required an additional shim on the rear wheel to space them away from the swingarm/driveshaft housing. I have not heard of any other brand tire requiring the shim, but it was a requirement for the Dunlops.

John

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Had the same issue with Avons.

·
Registered
41 Posts
strange smell

I had the clutch line develope a small leak that dripped onto the exhaust that made a strange smell only when i sat with the clutch in for a bit.Of course the clutch would start to grab if i sat there very long was a good clue.
Dont know if this helps but somthing to check.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gglove said:
hdfan
Any resolution with the smell?
Yup, with a little time, and a little cooking I guess, it burned what ever was on the exhaust away. All is good, thanks to everyone, well most everyone, :) for the ideas.

Ken

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ken

You probably tried to cross the river in centralia before christmas and got a chinook stuck under there...

Darn Water Buffalo's

Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts