BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 K1200Lt - Purchased 7 months ago, I am accomplishing some upgrade & maintenance work; new brake lines, air and fuel filters, brake pads, final drive bearing(s) inspection and repair, new front wheel bearings, replace/bleed all fluids, etc.
Two issue remain. I get an occassional thump/pop sound while going straight at speeds over 40 mph. I also detect a audible brushing noise when turning in either direction. It is the popping sound that is most concerning. The last time the popping sound was heard it was accompanied by a noticible skip of the rear wheel.
Anyone had a similar issues?
BluBeast
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/images/BMWLT_2015/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
The brushing sound in turns may be tire noise from the tread pattern. The pop bump stuff with rear wheel hop sounds like the transmission is slipping a tooth in the engagement dogs. Does it happen in a particular gear? Generally this happens under a good load so I am probably way off on this one.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Put it up on the center stand and grab the rear wheel at 9 and 3 and also at 12 and 6 and give it a good shake to see if there is any detectable play. It might be the final drive crown bearing coming apart. Play detected there can also be the pivot bearings being worn but those don't normally cause a popping noise.

If you detect any play, pull the FD drain plug and look for any larger flakes or chunks of metal on the magnet.

If you see these signs, contact Dave Selvig aka Saddleman as he is the forum premiere rebuilder of final drives assuming you are in the states. You profile does not indicate a location.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts