BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 lte with 90k on it. After my bike gets to operating temp it will make a sort of higher pitched metalic rattle noise at idle similar to a cross between pinging and valvle noise. It also will make the noise time to time after I rrestart it once warmed up but goes away when I give a slight increase in throttle. It doesnt seem to do it when cold and as I havent checked the valves yet (this week) it worries me. It also sometimes when started it seems to strugle as if the air/fuel mix isnt quite right but it then correc ts itself in less than 8 seconds max. It started doing this in early spring this year. I have started a full 12k service and will check the valves this week but itd be nice if I had an idea of what I was looking at before jumping in. Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should also mention that my gas milage had a sudden drop so I am assuming that the O2 sensor is bad and I will be replaceing it. Could this also make this noise I am hearing from rich maps?

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Hi, Chet - noises such as you describe can emanate from many places on these fully faired, relatively quiet motor areas, so you should get lotsa suggestions of possible sources. Of the places I would check, first and easy, are the exhaust header flange bolts. Been several instances of one or more of those loosening up and causing a rattle that can be distinctly heard at idle. Check the torque value for those (20nM or 22nM, IIRC) and hit all eight bolts with your torque wrench. Gonna require a socket extension to get to several of 'em. Out of curiousity, I'd check 'em before I messed with the O2 sensor - even if I were planning on changing the sensor.

Other suggestions will follow, I'm sure. Good luck on the service wrenching.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input. It does not sound like a loose nut or bolt but i guess it could be. I will have to strip it down and go through it to find out but as it does not keep making the noise continuously im thinking along other lines. The trick is ive been wrong soooooo many times before hehe thanks again :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I changed the oil and filter and the noise is gone. I was not low on oil at all so not real sure but im glad its gone.....or maybe its hiding waiting for me to get a 1000 miles out before saying hi im back ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts