BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I changed my battery out and noticed a strange issue.

First I would hook up all the negative leads to the battery.

Then, I would hook up all the positive leads to the battery.

When I hook up the lead for the comm system/radio, I would hear music from the speakers for a few seconds then it would turn off. Yes, the key is turned off and the radio is off as well.

Is this normal? Anyone else witness this?

I have a 2005 LT with the OEM comm system.

·
Registered
256 Posts
While I have never experienced this, it sounds normal, sort of...

I think the ON/OFF function on this radio, like so many other electronics, does not actually apply and remove power, but instead tells the unit to wake up or sleep. While asleep, all outward signs of life are turned off, but the internal clock, computer, etc. are still at work, and ready to go. The radio also draws some power even when OFF.

So, it sounds likely that when you connected the power to the radio circuit it woke up, began playing music, and then remembered that it was supposed to be asleep and turned off the music.

At least, I think that's what it did... others may have better information.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Don't know the answer to your question, but a note of caution for future battery changes.

When working with a battery if removing, disconnect the negative first then the positive, if installing connect the positive first then the negative.

You got away with the reverse because in this case BMW does not use the chassis as a ground. Most if not all cars and motorcycles use chassis as ground and wrenches hitting the chassis during battery work will not be a good thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts