BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Strange electrical problems

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  lesn 
#1 ·
On my 2003 LT, the warning light comes on and stays on, when ever I apply the brakes a little harder. Only way to reset it is by shutting off the engine and restart it. Cross Country BMW in New Jersey hooked it up to analyze and said that the problem is with the tail lights but offered no solution.I replaced all the light bulbs, checked all connections to the tail lights and came up empty.
Now, the only time the cruse control works when this warning light is on. Has any one encountered such a problem?

#2 · (Edited)
How old is your battery? Strange things happen when the battery is nearly gone. Did you check the level of brake fluid in the 3 reservoirs? Check your ground near the battery and starter, make sure the bolts are tight. If all is ok, maybe check your relays under the tank.

#3 ·
The battery is going on it's forth year. It is holding proper voltage before and after start. Brake fluid reservoirs are filled, main reservoir under the seat is filled to the top. The wig-wag light is working ok. I suppose I could re-check the grounding. Thanks for your quick reply.

#4 · (Edited)
If it was me, I would replace the battery and see what happens. Does your brake light come on while riding down the road at 60 and you hit the brakes, or does it only do it at idle? When last did you flush the brake system? just going over things to rule out here.

#5 ·
Please note there are two reservoirs under the rear seat . . . just in case!!

Did you replace the tail light bulbs with the proper units?

Have someone follow you and see if your tail lights are flashing off and on as you
go down the road.
You may have a loose screw down near the starter. I did and boy did all sorts of electrical problems.

John Zeiler helped me trouble shoot this a few years ago. Visit a few of these locations to see if this may help:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62817&highlight=load+shed+relay
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57851&highlight=flickering

#6 ·
Based on your comments, I have a few more checks to do but:
the brake lights are working fine-just as they are intended,
the flashing brake light does not come on after I start rolling-only the tri- angle danger light,
new bulbs with the recommended voltage,
brake fluid reservoirs-all 3 of them are filled, but has not been flushed recently

I'll start with flushing and bleeding the brakes and re-checking connections

Thanks for your help

Les

#7 ·
Your dealer was correct. A steady general warning light with nothing else flashing is a rear light issue. The center bulb is the problem. This is a hold back from the same ABS unit used on the RS which only has one bulb in the tail light. On the RS if you fail the tail light element you get the warning AND the ABS brain lights the remaining Stop light element at low current to simulate the tail light.

Double check the bulb in the center of the tail light assembly and make sure the thinner, low wattage element is not burned out with a good visual inspection

#8 ·
Thanks for the comments. I already replaced the center bulb with a brand new-correct Watts.
I read somewhere on this forum that if the danger light is activated, the cruise will not work. Now this is puzzling, because mine only works when the triangle light is lit, otherwise not. Just the opposite, something must be screwed up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.