BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody
I have a -99 k1200lt with a strange issue regarding the clutch .
Milage is 115000km= 72000Miles

From time to time when i am cruising the clutch lever engages very close to the handlebar, if I let go of the lever and try again it allways engages normally again and keeps working normally.
It never happens when the bike have been parked for a while, it rather seems to be happening if i cruise for a while on a steady speeed of about 55 mph.
Have had the bike for two years now and the problem occured quite randomly and not so often in the beginning but now it seems to occur more often.
It feels like there is air pocket in the system but since i have not changed the fluid or tinkered with it in any way it seem unlikely to get air in the system?
The clutch is not slipping.
The clutch fluid is not replaced for quite a while.
The fluid level in the reservoir is very high (above max) could this cause the problem ?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Welcome to the forum Pebl. From what you describe it sounds like you have to pump up the clutch lever sometimes. Could be seals in the master cylinder. Could also be the slave cylinder.
If you have never even changed the fluid in the clutch circuit then it might be time to. I'm just about to put fresh dot4 in mine.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,120 Posts
Definitely a hydraulic issue, as Wazza said time to flush the system with fresh fluid and see how it performs. The lever release point should never change even as the clutch wears.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts