BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stranded in Wichita, KS with a flat rear tire. The hole is too large for my plug kit to address. Anyone in Wichita know of a shop that might be able to help me with a replacement tire and mounting on a Sunday or Monday? I can be contacted on my cell 919-302- two five eight one

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
What size tire do you need ?

John

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
closest BMW dealer is Tulsa, OK...............................
Cycle gear is open Sunday & Monday in Lexana, KS (near Kansas city)...................
Still thinking.....................

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Cycle gear in Lenexa, KS is checking for your size and will call me back................

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Cycle gear has nothing to fit Ya'...........................

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for checking with CycleGear. Still hoping for a solution in Wichita.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I have a used one out in the shed, got some thread on it, maybe another 1.5K before its done.

Can send it out tomorrow, UPS NDA if you want it, just ask you cover the shipping, no charge for the tire.

Let me know where you want the brown truck to deliver.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks.everyone for the calls and volunteers to send out a tire. Long story, but finally have the bike at my brothers house in Wichita, so will keep looking locally and hang out here bothering him until I can continue on.

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
Joel, I have a new Metzeler in your size if you need it. I can ship it overnight or whatever method works best for you.

(740) 974 three five too fore (cell)

If you're a member of BMW MOA, don't forget the Anonymous book. If you don't have it let me know and I can look someone up for you.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Joel
I did search all the motorcycle shops (that I could find) in Wichita.............
all closed until Tuesday..............
Looks like you can get a tire on the site or from BMW Tulsa Tuesday.........
Just need someone to mount it for ya'...................

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Allan, many thanks for all your research locally, I've come to the same conclusion. Going to just rest easy and enjoy visiting my brother and his family and get things squared away on Tuesday. And then get back on my trip plans.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Howard, I'm going to check on line and see if I can get one overnighted from one of the distributors and go from there. Also, going to call the local MOA and see if any of them have a mounting machine, but would think if I can get the tire here, can find a shop to put it on for me otherwise.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Mid America Powersports on West street in Wichita was the local BMW dealer. They won't open till Tuesday and they most likely won't have a tire for you. They can order one and have it in a couple of days. Since you are on the road they will likely help all they can.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the CCR trips have been uneventful for me to date, so about time I had a little excitement in one. Left Friday from Raleigh around 2 made it to Nashville, got a late start on Saturday, but was going along pretty good, was on target to get to Wichita about 9 pm. When I cross the KS line, almost immediately started a bad wobble, unfortunately, knew what that meant, so got to the side of the road fast and sure enough the tire was flat. Pulled out my repair kit and plugged it, but the hole was too big and it wouldn't hold. So started calling friends and family and trying to figure out where I even was. A kind soul pulled up and volunteered to run home and get his trailer and put my bike up until I could get hold of my brother in Wichita, so off he went. In the mean time, the homeowner whose house I was in front of came out with bottled water and offered assistance. Two other people and state trooper stopped by, all ready to try and help. The first gent came back true to his word and we got the bike to his house. In the mean time, my brother had turned up a truck and trailer in Wichita so came to get me. By the time he arrived it was 1:30 am, but my good Samaritan was hanging in there and we were swapping stories (like Allen, he is with Patriot Guard and had lots of stories locally of their run-ins). So got the bike on trailer #2 and off the 150 miles to Wichita. About 50 miles from Wichita the trailer blew a tire, no spare, so we dropped it on the side of the road after much discussion and got back to Wichita about 6 am. Tractor supply opened at 9 and we were there waiting to get a tire and head back for the trailer and bike. When I went to pay for it, discovered that I had managed to lose my Visa card at one of my gas stops the previous day, so yet one more thing to take care of. Anyway back to the trailer, tire on, and bike finally in Wichita by noon. In the mean time, my friend Ed logged on in my name and got the posts started, and I've appreciated everyone's calls, posts and e-mails. Looks like I'm just going to hang out now until Tuesday and resume my trip then. See some of you in Boise, or other places down the road.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I have a biker bud in Wichita. Just left him a voice mail. will let you know what, if anything he can do to help.

I could also call Engle Motors in KC and see if they would get a tire to you.

Chris Ogle

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
Some interesting numbers:
After talking with Joel via phone, I was at the local FedEx with my new tire in hand - ready to overnight it to him. I knew it wouldn't be cheap, but the charge would have been $183. Yikes. That's the cost of a new tire. :eek2:

I also got an estimated cost of $108 from USPS.

Overnight isn't cheap!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Howard,
You might want to try Greyhound. I used to ship stuff up and down the coast with them. Same day in most cases, if a bus is going that way. Way cheaper than the shipping outfits, too.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I'll be in El Dorado Tuesday morning at 9:00 and have a tire and wheel you can use but not a whole lot of tread left. I planned to change it out this winter. It should be good to CCR and back though. Swap me tires and wheels, ship your new one to my house and stop back by on the way home and it'll be ready to go for you. I can ride the Honda until then. 785 608 1859

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Terrific! I'll be there! Thanks!

deanwoolsey said:
I'll be in El Dorado Tuesday morning at 9:00 and have a tire and wheel you can use but not a whole lot of tread left. I planned to change it out this winter. It should be good to CCR and back though. Swap me tires and wheels, ship your new one to my house and stop back by on the way home and it'll be ready to go for you. I can ride the Honda until then. 785 608 1859

1 - 20 of 33 Posts