BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm stranded in Wichita.
I broke the ball stud to the shift linkage. It is the ball on the linkage side not on the footshifter side.
The actual bolt/threads part has broke so that I can not screw it back in.

And help would be apreceated ... advice on a bike shop that would help? Any cross reference or knowledge of the size of the bolt?

I can drive the bike but would rather not drive around town in one grear to dead ends trying to get fixed.

My Anonymous book is sitting nicely next to my chair at home. Doh!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone ever get the bike rolling from a stop in 5th gear?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
BallsCasten said:
anyone ever get the bike rolling from a stop in 5th gear?
No, but you should be able to shift it into 3rd and go from a stop to over 65 no prob! To shift it you need to get behind the left foot plate (removing it is preferred) and move the linkage that is still connected by hand. You can find 3rd easy enough if it is on the center stand by just moving the rear wheel while you shift it.

Good Luck!

John

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx,
I’m in a dilemma that I have a spare car here in Wichita but no one to fix the bike. But if I can get it rolling in 5th its all interstate to KC and Engles but then I don’t have a ride to Home, Des Moines. I’m going to check a few of the cycle shops here in town in the morning.

Yes I have the plate and parts off. Just no way to thread the stud back in because half the stud is broke off in the threads.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,351 Posts
Some times you can get to the back side of the threaded part and use a pair of pliers to remove the remaining part from the back side. May have to remove the bell crank to get at it. 10mm nut on the back side 4 or 5 mm allen on the front. The threads for the ball stud are M6.

Maybe I need to do a video on repairing the shift linkage. It can be done on the road with the standard tool kit (at least the one that came with the pre 07 bikes). I always carry a spare ball stud as well.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats what Im looking for ... it fells rounded on the back side but it is probably grease and I can fell it.
If I understand you. You're saying I can thread/screw that in farther or actually out. Which would give me room to get the half threads left on the stud to get me to the shop????

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
BallsCasten said:
thats what Im looking for ... it fells rounded on the back side but it is probably grease and I can fell it.
If I understand you. You're saying I can thread/screw that in farther or actually out. Which would give me room to get the half threads left on the stud to get me to the shop????
Used to be that one of the Honda dealers in Wichita also dealt with BMW - might call around tomorrow to see if still is.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Call Lone Star BMW, (512) 451-7979 to see if they have the ball stud and overnight it to your location. With the broken piece left on mine, I was able to screw out the back side with a pair of pliers. Not a big job, circlips being the biggest PITA and making sure the ball has fully seated in the well before putting the circlip in. Check/tighten all other studs, using locktite blue if you find a loose one, 8mm or 5/16 tightens the ball stud. Install the side plate ball linkage last with circlip.

Hope this helps,
Curt

·
Registered
220 Posts
jzeiler said:
Some times you can get to the back side of the threaded part and use a pair of pliers to remove the remaining part from the back side. May have to remove the bell crank to get at it. 10mm nut on the back side 4 or 5 mm allen on the front. The threads for the ball stud are M6.

Maybe I need to do a video on repairing the shift linkage.
It can be done on the road with the standard tool kit (at least the one that came with the pre 07 bikes). I always carry a spare ball stud as well.

Yes, please!!!

·
Premium Member
2,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler

Maybe I need to do a video on repairing the shift linkage. It can be done on the road with the standard tool kit (at least the one that came with the pre 07 bikes). I always carry a spare ball stud as well.

ltdavey said:
Yes, please!!!
+1!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Doug, I have a set of repair parts I can overnight to you if you are still awaiting parts

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
3rd gear works best, you can still get the bike moving with a little clutch slipping, and ride 70 MPH on the freeways with no problem. BTDT. :D The bike seemed happy doing it. :bmw:

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
dshealey said:
3rd gear works best, you can still get the bike moving with a little clutch slipping, and ride 70 MPH on the freeways with no problem. BTDT. :D The bike seemed happy doing it. :bmw:
Like I said earlier as well! Dave just reaffirms it. And BTDT myself is how I knew! Gentle on the clutch engagement, and you're home free! And this engine likes the high RPM's remember, so highway speeds will not hurt her.

John

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
AlaskaFish said:
Like I said earlier as well! Dave just reaffirms it. And BTDT myself is how I knew! Gentle on the clutch engagement, and you're home free! And this engine likes the high RPM's remember, so highway speeds will not hurt her.

John
yep, rode mine about 60 miles home in 3rd gear with half the way in stop and go traffic.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Howdy :wave

I am about 30 minutes from Engles in KC. Let me know if you need anything.

Chris Ogle

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the help guys.
Went out this morning and turned out the old stud .. from the backside. Orderd a new one from Engles and it will be here tomorrow. Ordered a spare to keep on the bike as well. :)

·
Registered
705 Posts
jzeiler said:
(snip) It can be done on the road with the standard tool kit (at least the one that came with the pre 07 bikes). I always carry a spare ball stud as well.
I guess the one on the linkage could be repaired road-side, but, when the stud on the shifter on mine broke a couple of weeks ago, I needed to drill it and use a screw extractor to get the piece out. Now, I guess I could carry a small, battery operated drill and an extractor, (and a vise would be nice too)....

I did as mentioned in the other posts: shifted it into third by hand and rode it the 30 miles home, no problem.

GB

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,351 Posts
You are correct George. I forget about that one since the 05 and up went to an M8 there from an M6 thread. Periodic maintenance, checking for tighness and lubing the pockets will result in almost no failures.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
LIke you concluded, no BMW support in Wichita.
Sounds like you have a plan, if it falls through, give me a call (I'll PM the number) and you can cannabilize my 2000 for a parts swap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If things do not work out try
(316) 267-9121
1520 E Douglas Ave · Wichita ·Big Dog
Mid America Powersports
333 N West St
Wichita KS 67203
Phone: (316)945-8221
Use to sell and service BMW's
I am about 100 miles north of you if there is anything I can do to help.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts