BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody.
After a 4200 mile 2 week trip, my wife and I are stuck in Oklahoma City (Moore) on a Sunday in need of a rear tire for our K1200lt. Does anyone know where I can get one today or does anyone have one I can purchase from them so we can get back to Dallas? no. at local hotel is 405-912-1400, rm 105. any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Jeff try Cycle Gear. They open at 10:00

Cycle Gear Oklahoma City
2717 Northwest Expressway
Oklahoma City, OK 73112
Tel.: (405) 842-0111

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
katnapinn said:
Jeff try Cycle Gear. They open at 10:00

Cycle Gear Oklahoma City
2717 Northwest Expressway
Oklahoma City, OK 73112
Tel.: (405) 842-0111
ok. will give them a call. thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called Cycle Gear. Unfortunately, they had nothing even close in stock.
search continues

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Let us know how it goes......... :)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rattler50 said:
Let us know how it goes......... :)
I will. cycle shops here apparently are closed on Sundays and Mondays, so we have someone coming to get us and trailer the bike home.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
is there a Honda or HArley dealer in town?

Maybe someone could bring you a tire and then have the local boys change it and away you go?

Oh and what is wrong with the tire?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
There is a place called The Motorcycle Tire Store. On S. Agnew.. That might be open on Monday... He's about your only hope of a proper tire for the LT...

I don't have anything laying around that would even work on an LT anymore... Dangit....

Glad you've got someone coming for you...

Did you baconize the tire ? Or is it just a puncture ? I know of a particular guy who rode 200 miles on a baconized tire... Althout at greatly reduced load and speed.....

John

·
Registered
517 Posts
What happened to the tire that you can't ride it?

·
Registered
71 Posts
bikerj said:
cycle shops here apparently are closed on Sundays and Mondays,
Hate to tell you, that is just about everywhere. There are only a few bike shops in this country open on either of those days....... Good luck getting home!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I had already typed a somewhat lengthy reply, then I fat fingered the super sensitive keyboard, hitting the wrong key, and sending my reply into cyberspace.

So, l'll stick to the main reason for my post and get back to everyone later on.

First, we made it back home to big D okay, although in a cage.
Second, I really appreciate Mike's sincere offer of assistance. That means a lot to me, personally receiving such an invitation and being assured there are still good people amongst us ready to lend a hand and extend their generosity to others they've never met.
This isn't really a surprise to me because I've read numerous postings of similar acts of kindness and eagerness to help fellow enthusiasts on this website.

Thanks again. I'll return later with more details about the tire.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Glad you made it back ok

·
Registered
152 Posts
bikerj said:
Hello Everybody.
After a 4200 mile 2 week trip, my wife and I are stuck in Oklahoma City (Moore) on a Sunday in need of a rear tire for our K1200lt. Does anyone know where I can get one today or does anyone have one I can purchase from them so we can get back to Dallas? no. at local hotel is 405-912-1400, rm 105. any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry I can't help. I can commiserate though, broken valve stem in Pacific Junction Iowa.

There was a Harley dealer, but would not even take a tire off a foreign motorcycle....talk about frustrating. stuck from late Sat, till Tue.

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
Glad it worked out - I've never needed it, but I would not leave town without a small portable compressor, tire patching kit and towing straps.

Locally it it pretty easy to call around and get some help, but out of town, on a weekend, even with towing services, it might involve a long wait.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Kind of brings up a new one BTTH. And I have...

Been There Towed Home.

Glad you got home alright...

John

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've gotten around to coming back to this thread to address replies and questions.
John, I did see the motorcycle tire store on Agnew street mentioned in the phonebook, but I couldn't wait til Monday, so that was a no go.

There is a Cycle Gear around the NW part of Oklahoma City, specially at Northwest Expwy and N. May Ave. They were open on Sundays, and they do sell tires and mount them, as long as one takes them just the tire/rim assembly. The problem here was they didn't have a tire for the LT. :(
But, this is good info. to store in back of one's mental file cabinet for future reference. Cycle Gear is a chain of brick and mortar stores, and I think they have an online operation, as well. They carry a little bit of everything, though the quality of their merchandise isn't necessarily top shelf. They carry their own line of motorcycle apparel, including helmets, and therefore, priced well for those on a budget or needing something in a pinch/last moment.

I found one of their stores on the same trip in Albuquerque, where I was able to find my wife some riding boots and gloves. She just didn't want to spend the money the BMW dealership was asking for their boots. I can't say I blame her, but they did look like quality boots.

Anyway, here's a picture of the tire, revealing why I decided to end the trip 200 miles from home. I did carry a tire repair kit with me, as well as a can of "fix-a-flat", but these wouldn't help in this instance.

I'm guessing the main culprit was an incorrect tire pressure for the rear tire, thanks to my brain being on vacation, along with the rest of my body. I kept the tire pressure at the recommended 46 PSI for two-up riding/maximum load, but I forgot about pulling the trailer.
Should I have inflated the tire more with the trailer in tow? This is the only possibility I've came up with.

Here's another picture showing how badly we were roughing it while stranded. :rolleyes: We were drinking JD and coke, while waiting in the motel lobby for the calvary to arrive. :D

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,903 Posts
I don't think changing air pressure would have saved that tire. I ran short on one trip as well and I have found that pulling the trailer does wear the rear a bit faster than with out the trailer. But I had a spare tire IN the trailer during that trip and I ended up changing it in Austin as I would not have made AL as it was going. I also under estimated the distance I was going to cover by about 700 miles (4,200 instead of the predicted 3,500). I was out in New Mexico and had an unexpected weekend off so I headed to the mountains.

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
bikerj said:
I'm guessing the main culprit was an incorrect tire pressure for the rear tire, thanks to my brain being on vacation, along with the rest of my body. I kept the tire pressure at the recommended 46 PSI for two-up riding/maximum load, but I forgot about pulling the trailer.
Should I have inflated the tire more with the trailer in tow? This is the only possibility I've came up with.
I doubt being a little low would affect the wear all that much. Having said that, I would run at the 50 psi max (at least the ME880 has that as the max) when heavily loaded. I suspect it was just the extra wear from pulling the trailer that caught up with you.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Generally, running the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall will give you the longest tire life. In my opinion, running max. pressure is essential with a trailer and passenger. Your tire simply wore out, compounded by the extra load from the trailer and passenger. They do seem to wear more quickly as they get closer to the wear bars. I imagine this is because the reduced thickness of the rubber makes the tread more susceptible to "scrubbing" as it rolls through the contact patch with the pavement. Glad it worked out for you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts