BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Strange front pad wear

I thought I had plenty of meat left in my front pads until the other day when I heard the "grinding" I took the bike off the road and ordered a new set of pads. I fitted them last night and noticed that three of them had several mm of meat while the r/h inner pad was completely shot, no lining at all! all eight pistons seem to move freely, what on earth could have caused this?

Simon
pics to follow

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Sounds like one of the pistons is not releasing or the caliper is not aligned square with the rotor.

Aren't the two bolts holding the calipers in place different? The shoulder bolt has to be in the right hole

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HHHMMMMM,

Hadn't thought of that. My first thought was that the pad material had detached itself from the backing plate, all wear seems to be even (as in flat across the pads)

Simon

·
Premium Member
8,156 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Sounds like one of the pistons is not releasing or the caliper is not aligned square with the rotor.
I think you are right on the money. This happens if the hydraulic lines get old and swell up under pressure, but then partially clog up and do not allow the pressure to be released, and Simon's bike is a 99 so I would say it is time to replace the brakes lines and the slave cylinder line before one one them ruptures. This is easier done in your garage than on the side of the road, under the rain, at night...!;)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,779 Posts
On my LT and all my cars the inner pads always seems to wear faster than the outer ones. Now why one side was worse than the other is a mistery but I would suspect a spot of dirt on the side of a piston could be the cause of it sticking and not relasing that pad.
Both bolts on the front calipers are identical, the rears use a different one for each mount point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts