BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cussing: If any of you recall i was a vehement defender of Avon tyres when everyone was complaining about the new Storm(s). Though i maintain my defense of their tires over the last 20+ yrs i have used them i finally wore out the Azaro's and was able to put a set of the Storms on and show everyone a thing or two....its been about 3500mi and today i went on a day ride to Boise (500mi round trip) and in that time they went from good to extreme cupping and wear. So from a staunch defender of the Avon tyre company i now stand humbled, corrected and cannot recommend the storms to anyone riding an LT. They handled excellently in typical Avon fashion until today...and now they SUCK ! So i will have to either find a set of Azaro's or try something else (not the noisy, crappy handling, corner washout ME88's either) that is performance oriented with reasonable mileage return. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
794 Posts
+1

At least you got 3500 miles out of them.
At 1800 miles I thought I had one more ride, after 150 miles they were GONE.
The confident handling was gone by 1200 miles.

Please note that I only ride in the mountains and the road surfaces here are very abrasive.
God forbid that those of you who get 12K miles flame me because I can ride the LT. :eek:
I did go back to the Metz... I am at 2K miles right now with good tread.

·
Registered
938 Posts
If you don't like the Metzlers and you have some sitting around, i'll take them off your hands...

I think they are the best tire for what they are designed to do. I have tried others for the LT and they just don't cut it.

If you want a sport bike, buy one.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Those Avons have the load rating the Metzs have? I hope so.....

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
rglassma said:
If you don't like the Metzlers and you have some sitting around, i'll take them off your hands...

I think they are the best tire for what they are designed to do. I have tried others for the LT and they just don't cut it.

Well said (IMHO)...

·
Registered
794 Posts
The LT can just about do everything a sportbike can, Trust me.
I can't speak for "SKABOOTS", but I have a garage full of sportbikes and only one LT.
The LT is more than just another "old fart bike," as you have made it... :histerica

I would not put any variation of Avon tires on any bike.
I actually like the METZ, but would much prefer a set of Michelins.
If only the Pilot Powers came with a high weight rating.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought the LT was a sport bike... :histerica

·
Registered
938 Posts
I think the LT is just fine the way it is... It can be for young folks, middle aged folks or old folks.

This is about tires, not the bike. Metzlers are probably the best selling tire out there for the LT. No they are not sticky, but they last a long time and they do the job. My bike originally had Bridgestones. I don't think I saw more then 6-7K out of one. They cup very easily. They are good performing tires, but not really cost affective. Spending $300.00+ every 6K to change tires is fine if you don't have a family to feed and you are independently wealthy. Unfortunately, I can not claim to be that affluent.

Metzlers seem to be the best compromise. Ride safely and responsibly. Let the tires warm up, and they seem to perform adequitely for most of us. But, they aren't for everyone...

So, once you have dropped thousands trying to find the right tire, let us know what it is ...

Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Which Storms are you talking about? AV55? Was the problem you had with the front, back, or both?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
"Metzlers seem to be the best compromise. Ride safely and responsibly. Let the tires warm up, and they seem to perform adequitely for most of us. But, they aren't for everyone... "

I don't get the concept of "adequately" performing tires. It does not matter how safe and responsible I ride, when the time comes were I need to react quickly to a situation I want the stickiest best handling tires I can get. How does the cost of replacing tires after 8,000 miles vs 12,000 miles compare to going down?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Sorry I bothered.. You guys just want to debate. Buy whatever you want and split hairs with each other...

Everything sucks but what you think is best, whatever that is... This thread is both counter productive and a waste of time. I am not wasting my time anymore... No matter how good this forum is, there are always those that just want to fight and debate about nothing.

Just go ride your bike and have fun.. If you have nothing better to do, go fight with your wife or beat your dog or something. I'm done wasting my time.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
rglassma said:
Sorry I bothered.. You guys just want to debate. Buy whatever you want and split hairs with each other...

Everything sucks but what you think is best, whatever that is... This thread is both counter productive and a waste of time. I am not wasting my time anymore... No matter how good this forum is, there are always those that just want to fight and debate about nothing.

Just go ride your bike and have fun.. If you have nothing better to do, go fight with your wife or beat your dog or something. I'm done wasting my time.
Bad day? :)

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I think I have the answer to what is going on here. I am on my 3rd set of Storms on the LT (2003 LTE). The first 2 front tires had serious vibration problems even though I balanced them myself. The 3rd front has been just fine.

Seems to me that Avon had a serious quality control problem with front Storms....it also seems that they now have that corrected. If you are unlucky enough to get some of the old stock....you will not be happy.

What am I going to do about it?.....I feel that it will take time for Avon to get these through the system. I ordered another rear Storm and a Metzeler 880 Radial front for my next go around.( yes they are weight rated for the LT )

The handling of the Storms has been noticeably better than the 880 Bias plys.

I will monitor the forum and would appreciate more input as time goes by to see if it will be time to go back to a Storm front tire.

I did write to Avon about the problem but got no response. That did not make me happy.

Ron

·
Registered
659 Posts
kellenbenz said:
Seems to me that Avon had a serious quality control problem with front Storms....it also seems that they now have that corrected. If you are unlucky enough to get some of the old stock....you will not be happy.

I did write to Avon about the problem but got no response. That did not make me happy.

Ron
I'd contact the local Avon rep. A friend had issues with an Avon tire on his Road King. The local rep handled it satisfactorily, albeit reluctantly.

·
Registered
654 Posts
kellenbenz said:

Ron
Have you tried calling their Customer Service, 800-624-7470? I had a problem with my first front and when I called they were very prompt and easy to work with. No problems with this set, in fact they hold their pressure better than anything I've had. The only negative thing I can say is that they are starting to get a bit noisy in the curves.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I too purchased and installed a new Storm front tire a short time ago. The vibration started at about 500 miles and has gotten so bad I have parked the bike until I can get a replacement. My email to the vendor has gone unanswered and I really would like an answer. The previous Avon Azaro was one of the best front tires I have ever had and wish I could find another one.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
All;

Do I get Storms from another planet or what? 1 set dealer 2nd set mototires 3rd set Dennis kirk.
Read my posts. Go 42/48. 12k front 16k rear.
On 3rd set!!!!!!!!!!!

Zeke

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had been running the Storms and had a front tire go out of round at 4,700 miles and called Avon Customer Service and was advised to return to a Avon Dealer for a no cost replacement of which I did, no problem. The rear is now down to the wear bars at 8,700 miles. I really liked the way the Storms handled in the curves, had a ball, however I would have liked a little better mileage from them I usually get 12,000 to 14,000 miles out of a Metzler rear & about double that out of the front. I now have a new set of Avion's coming this week along with a new set of Metzler's. Since the bulk of my riding for the first part of the season will be usually non curvy roads I will mount up the Metzler's first but if I take a notion to head for some curve carving the Avion's will be put on. I do my own mounting & balancing so it is a only two to three hour job. Other than that buy what tires make you feel safe and happy. This is a wonderful country we can purchase what ever we want, be it tires, oil, or seats.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Zaphod and Moonshine for constructive advice, i am going to call Avon this morning and go from there...i was trying to find another set of Azaro's but i guess they are pretty much gone...this is the first set of Avon tires i have had a problem with since my first set of RoadRunner's in about 86'......so we will see how they treat a long time customer. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
280 Posts
skaboots said:
Thanks Zaphod and Moonshine for constructive advice, i am going to call Avon this morning and go from there...i was trying to find another set of Azaro's but i guess they are pretty much gone...this is the first set of Avon tires i have had a problem with since my first set of RoadRunner's in about 86'......so we will see how they treat a long time customer. :rolleyes:
I put my first set of Storms on my 03 LTC two (2) months ago and have put about 2k on them and, so far, have had no problems and love them!
I had always ran Avon on my Harley. The one thing that I am making myself do is, check the tire pressure about twice a week. I ride the LT seven days a week unless it is pouring rain upon opening the garage door.
Last week while out for a ride : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghUaus21DZY
I noticed a bad front end wobble when I took my hands off the bars, a tire pressure check showed the rear was only at 32 PSI.
What do you all think is a good pressure to keep the front and rear at?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts