BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been trying to get over and visit my nearest dealer about 50 miles away to see what's what. Finally get some time Friday afternoon so I head out. Beautiful all day and don't even check the radar before leaving. It's a nice day so of course I take the long way and stop for a libation. When I head out again I notice a little weather out that way. No problem I have my rain gear and I really want to see this shop. The closer I get the darker it gets and pretty soon there is a wall of darkness and lightning strikes. I will ride in weather and have seen some guys on this site ride in some nasty stuff, but lightning is where I draw the line. I got the heck out of there and will have to try another day. Sure enough my wife tells me later she heard on the news two guys in the hospital after being struck on a golf course. Glad I did not push my luck. What would you have done?

Scott

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
SanMan said:
Been trying to get over and visit my nearest dealer about 50 miles away to see what's what. Finally get some time Friday afternoon so I head out. Beautiful all day and don't even check the radar before leaving. It's a nice day so of course I take the long way and stop for a libation. When I head out again I notice a little weather out that way. No problem I have my rain gear and I really want to see this shop. The closer I get the darker it gets and pretty soon there is a wall of darkness and lightning strikes. I will ride in weather and have seen some guys on this site ride in some nasty stuff, but lightning is where I draw the line. I got the heck out of there and will have to try another day. Sure enough my wife tells me later she heard on the news two guys in the hospital after being struck on a golf course. Glad I did not push my luck. What would you have done?

Scott
The exact same thing...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Trust your instincts. Better another day for the same destination than a crispy critter today

·
IBR# 366
16,533 Posts
I wouldn't have stood in a large, open field swinging a metal stick over my head. :)

If you weren't comfortable riding in those conditions, then it's perfectly reasonable to have turned back. The store will still be there later.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
SanMan said:
What would you have done?
First of all: NOT get back on the bike after a "libation" (if it was of the alchoholic variety).

But more to your point . . . If I'm on an LD trip, I ride through the storm. Lightning, or no lightning. But ff I'm local, I route around or just go home and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Old Golf Joke

When caught in lightning stand and hold a One Iron directly over your head...

even God can't hit a One Iron....

Thankyewww, I'll be here all week. :cool:

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Keith said:
Old Golf Joke

When caught in lightning stand and hold a One Iron directly over your head...

even God can't hit a One Iron....

Thankyewww, I'll be here all week. :cool:

:thumb:

·
Registered
857 Posts
Been there, but I was on my way home and thought the storms had all moved east but I got about 3 miles from home and ran into the storm. I got off the highway at my exit and got stopped at the light. Lightening flashing all around. I just laid as low as I could on the tank and made a bee line home.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Joe,

You seem like a nice guy but if you can't drink one beer and get on a bike you don't need to be riding anyway. IMHO.

Scott

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
SanMan said:
Joe,

You seem like a nice guy but if you can't drink one beer and get on a bike you don't need to be riding anyway. IMHO.

Scott
I "can" drink a beer than ride . . . I just DO NOT! It's called "an intellectual choice". And very few poeple will be impressed in this forum by your choice.

FWIW, you seem like a nice guy too, I just won't ride with you. But anytime you want to ride sober just to see if I know how to ride, let's go!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't want to get into a pissing contest but since when do you speak for everyone in the forum?

Scott

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
After 7,000 posts, I think I have a pretty good pulse of the personality of this forum. And please note the operative word "most" in my statement. That leaves room for the morons who drink and ride.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Joe I apologize if I have offended you but this is going nowhere so let's just call it.

Scott

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I accept your apology, though it's not needed. I'm not offended by anything. Maybe that's part of the problem. I assume all too often that people are thicker-skinned than some are.

We're all good.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Sheesh, I heard that one learning to play golf before you were born Joe.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Joe and Scott,,

You two are a prime example of why this forum is the best forum on the internet...

I visit 8 or 9 bike forums a day and have been for a couple of years and some of them are so vile and down right mean spirited that ya can't stay their long...

I know in the passed I have scanned the forums and have came here and spoke harshly but not by intent,, and I truly try to follow the example set by so many of you.. My skin is as thick as reactive armor but that gives me no excuse to be rude... I do truly enjoy this forum over all the rest...

Any way, my hats off to you for once again showing others how men act..........Regards Pete

·
Registered
435 Posts
golfers are nutz!!

I always wonder if their crazy when I'm riding thru a storm like that and see them on the golf course :)

Same thing when it snows!

Gotta give em credit though so I wave when I go by.

good riding!!..geo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts