BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently heading to meet a buddy in Oklahoma. Just outside of Memphis today light rain suddenly got nasty and luckily there was an exit right there. Got off the interstate and pulled into a gas station with a covered store front. Parked the bike, put it on sidestand and stepped under cover. No sooner did I get my helmet off when an extreme gust of wind blew in at the left side of the bike....and over she went! She ended up further over than the tip over guard and busted my right side mirror in two and the tip of my brake lever. Was able to duct tape the mirror back together and onto the bike.
Glad I wasn't still the road when that gust hit.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I broke my left mirror a couple of years ago. Took $300 in parts to fix it. A total new one was about $400. Some of the guys have been buying the Chinese replacements off of Ebay for about 1/2 that price with good success. Probably have to paint it though.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Same thing happened to mine about 6 weeks ago so I can feel your pain.

I have glued the mirror back together and found some chrome stickers to put on the pannier ( bit ugly but it works). Luckily for me the brake handle only bent.

The Chinese mirrors are probably the best way to go if your mirror is too far gone.

Regards,
Greg

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
edmann said:
wow! the LT is one heavy bike to knock over
Especially from the left side while on the side stand. A lot of weight to get upright and over to the right side. As the OP said, he was glad he wasn't on the road at the time. Happy to hear that it wasn't worse than it was.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Sorry to hear about the damage, but I agree with you. Good thing you weren't out on the road when that hit!

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Never happend to me, but seen and heard stories, so I try to park into the wind.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Try carrying a sheet of plywood in a wind. Even a small wind.
It will help you to better understand why the bike flops over.
The weight of the bike really is not a factor.

·
Registered
710 Posts
mwnahas said:
Never happend to me, but seen and heard stories, so I try to park into the wind.
Yes, either head into the wind or the sidestand on the lee side.

Sorry to hear about your incident.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Knowing that not all two-wheel bikes attain the same lean angle when parked on the sidestand (too many variables), this prolly doesn't make a BIG difference; butt I believe the direction in which the front wheel is turned has a slight bearing on the ease of tumbling the bike to the right, off the sidestand.

It seems to me there is more lean involved when the wheel is pointed to the left, rather than to the right. In ole Toad's case, we 'always' park on the sidestand, wheel pointed left, when we're at home in the garage. Can't tell you how many times I've used the right side passenger footpeg as a boot/shoe rest while tying laces over the last 11 years. Coupla weeks ago, I had moved ole Toad's front wheel to the right to get a little room to open a freezer door. Left the wheel pointed to the right, and later, when tying a shoe, just the weight of me resting my leg/foot on the peg, ole Toad tumbled to the right.

Don't wanna repeat the exercise, and not being an engineer, I just think the wheel direction must have played a role in the ease at which ole Toad took a dump to the right. Any thoughts - pro or con??

·
Registered
596 Posts
I believe you are correct Dick, that is why when getting on a large bike , turn the wheel to the right at the same time as mounting and it will automatically stand upright, or at least a lot easier rather than trying to push all that weight up.

Turned left= left circle, fall left
turned right=right circle, fall right

·
Registered
710 Posts
Dick said:
Don't wanna repeat the exercise, and not being an engineer, I just think the wheel direction must have played a role in the ease at which ole Toad took a dump to the right. Any thoughts - pro or con??
You are right Dick.
The rake, trail and offset of the steering geometry affect the height of the front of the bike which changes the lean angle to the sidestand. Basically, turn left and it raises the front, turn right and it lowers the front (assuming the bike is leaned left..i.e. towards the sidestand). If the bike is taller, you get more lean angle against the fixed length sidestand. More lean angle against the stand is more stable. That's why the steering lock is set up for turning the bars left.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
dukey33 said:
You are right Dick.
The rake, trail and offset of the steering geometry affect the height of the front of the bike which changes the lean angle to the sidestand. Basically, turn left and it raises the front, turn right and it lowers the front (assuming the bike is leaned left..i.e. towards the sidestand). If the bike is taller, you get more lean angle against the fixed length sidestand. More lean angle against the stand is more stable. That's why the steering lock is set up for turning the bars left.
Hi, Dave - hey, thanks for the input on my theory! Never know - I might prove it out one of these days!! :histerica Oh yeah, I think I already did!!! :rotf:

Oh, and lissen - ole '99 Toad can be ignition locked with the bars turned either right OR left. Not sure about newer model years.
Mountainmama said:
I believe you are correct Dick, that is why when getting on a large bike , turn the wheel to the right at the same time as mounting and it will automatically stand upright, or at least a lot easier rather than trying to push all that weight up.
Hi, Eric - appreciate your input on this also. No need to prove it out in practice tho; see above!! :histerica

Thanks, guyz.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Bike blows off side stand!
Bike blows off center stand!
I think I need to drop anchor from my left portal on my cross country trip :histerica
Seriously though I have been reading such threads before my route 66 trip and the unprecedented rash of bad weather does not make it any easier. So far I can handle the windy city but what lays ahead out west. No injuries that's good.
ride safe :bmw:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts