BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is not the season. In fact, it's just the opposite, but winter memories are still intact, and I have this argument with a friend. To those of you who store their bikes for winter, what is the best thing to do whith the tires: deflate them quite a bit, leave them as they are, or inflate them to the maximum permissible? And should you prevent the bike from resting on either of them using some kind of blocks?

Thank you.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It's my opinion that people worry way too much about "winterizing" their bikes. There was a real need for that 30 or 40 years ago, nowadays, not so much. If it were me, I'd put the bike on a battery tender and maybe add some Sta-Bil to the gas tank. That's about it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Ride it all winter and forget about it... But if I had to I would leave tires as they are. Many years ago, bias ply tires could develop a flat spot if they sat for a long time. The radial will do the same but after it gets warm the first time it is fine. Stabilize the fuel if sitting for three months or more. Battery on a tender. Clean it and cover it. Turn off the light till spring.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Gas stabilizer, battery ternder, cover with a soft towel over the windshield under the cover. Many places are filling tires with nitrogen now and this is specifically for maintaining pressure without leakage, I'd leave the tires alone.

r

·
Registered
287 Posts
I fill tires with extra 5-6 psi and put carpet remnants under them because I can. I don't know if this does any good, but I have had no flat spots or any other problems.

It's like the joke:
"Why do you wave your left hand in the air?"
"To keeps the elephants away."
"There are no elephants here."
"See, it works!"

·
Registered
616 Posts
If I were to store my bike for longer periods I would put it on the center stand, place a (wooden) block
under the engine to lift the front wheel off the floor. I wouldn't change the tire pesssure.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Gaby said:
If I were to store my bike for longer periods I would put it on the center stand, place a (wooden) block
under the engine to lift the front wheel off the floor. I wouldn't change the tire pesssure.
x2

·
Registered
528 Posts
I pretty much do the full tank with stabil, battery tender, proper inflation and dust cover.

Haven't ever had a problem!

·
Registered
425 Posts
05Train said:
It's my opinion that people worry way too much about "winterizing" their bikes. There was a real need for that 30 or 40 years ago, nowadays, not so much. If it were me, I'd put the bike on a battery tender and maybe add some Sta-Bil to the gas tank. That's about it.
+1 (except, I have been using Seafoam, instead of Sta-Bil)...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your opinions. Leave the tires alone seems to be the consensus. I'll forward.

I wish we could ride all winter, but with snow, ice and temperatures never much higher than 5° C below zero, and generally much lower, for four months, this is not really feasible. Nor is it appealing. Plus, we have a law that mandates winter tires on all vehicles between Dec. 15 th. and March 15 th. So...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts