BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking (on-line) at the Geza Covers for the LT. Has anyone had any experience with this cover?

With thanks!

John

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have one. Use it alot when I travel or to cover bike when parked for extended stops to keep prying eyes off farkels. Packs very small in included bag. Very pricey.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I have one too...it really only offers visual protection.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sharkey and Wolfgang - Thanks for your responses. I'm mainly considering the Geza for travel - keeping dry and "under cover" at night. Would you buy it again?

John

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have been using one on my bike since 05. Easy to take along and keeps the dew and prying eyes off, not much else. If you are looking for weather protection look for some other type.

As a trip cover it is very good and I will buy another should I ever need to. This thing wears very well and it will not scratch the bike no matter how windy it gets.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Won't shed the rain

jroadhouse said:
I've been looking (on-line) at the Geza Covers for the LT. Has anyone had any experience with this cover?

With thanks!

John
Once you get it on, it'll stay. I hauled my bike on an open trailer to the dealer once and it didn't blow off.

It will keep the dew off , but rain will go through it.

I doubt I'd buy one again since as mentioned before, it is a little pricey. I got mine in a package deal with some other items along with the cover here on this site.

It is a long lasting item to have and is tough and rolls up in it's own little bag.

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
The Geza is a good cover and fits well, but isn't waterproof and will eventually wear thin if you stretch it too far too many times. I got around 5 years of daily use out of mine, and would have bought another except for the non-waterproof thing.

I now use a Dowco Guardian half cover. Packs small and kept even Oregon rain off my bike. The price was good at under $40 and I have no complaints.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
meese said:
I now use a Dowco Guardian half cover. Packs small and kept even Oregon rain off my bike. The price was good at under $40 and I have no complaints.
Thanks, Meese . . . how's the Dowco cover compare with the EZ covers? Especially in terms of waterproof quality, lightweight, and compactness?

Thanks for all the responses to my inquiry . . .

·
Registered
68 Posts
I considered the Dowco, but I read an evaluation of the Nelson-Rigg half cover. I've been using it on my bike for several years now and it's really decent. It cost $40 new, is waterproof, is easy to deploy, packs small, has ties to hold it down in the wind, and keeps prying eyes off my GPS. I will buy one again if anything ever happes to this one.

Robin

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
+1 On Nelson Riggs.

Just Bought a Defender 2000 XXL and it is a dream, 65 to the door. I am going to look at the half cover come spring, and will probably get one. I have used their covers for 10 years and have never had a claim on the Lifetime Warranty.

Robin said:
I considered the Dowco, but I read an evaluation of the Nelson-Rigg half cover. I've been using it on my bike for several years now and it's really decent. It cost $40 new, is waterproof, is easy to deploy, packs small, has ties to hold it down in the wind, and keeps prying eyes off my GPS. I will buy one again if anything ever happes to this one.

Robin

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
+2 on Nelson-Rigg. Love it - easy on, easy off, waterproof, not expensive. Packs up small and tight...

·
Registered
214 Posts
covering the LT up

LAF said:
Just Bought a Defender 2000 XXL and it is a dream, 65 to the door. I am going to look at the half cover come spring, and will probably get one. I have used their covers for 10 years and have never had a claim on the Lifetime Warranty.
Lee,

I have a Defender 2000 XXL too - got it for the ST (and it swims in the cover!) Anyway, here's the silly question: What do you do with the antenna?

First bike I've ever had that had an antenna!

Jon

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
jdsd-tourteam said:
Lee,

I have a Defender 2000 XXL too - got it for the ST (and it swims in the cover!) Anyway, here's the silly question: What do you do with the antenna?

Jon
Here's how I worked this out with my Dowco Guardian. Remove the antenna (leave the mount in place), install the cover, and mark the area of the cover where the antenna will go through. Take the cover to an awning or boat cover shop and ask them to cut a slit lengthwise 3" or so. Have them reinforce the area around the slit and finish it with a hem. It's easy to install/remove. The cover goes over the antenna first and comes off last. Cost for mine was $10.00. I hoped it wouldn't void the warranty. The salesman at the motorcycle shop where I bought it told me it wouldn't. As luck would have it, I got to find out. The lower hem came apart. I called Dowco, told them what happened with the hem, and let them know the cover had been altered. No problem. I sent mine back and they sent me a brand new replacement. Took about a month. Bad thing was, the cover was 3 months old, but I had only been using it about 1 month. I would have been happy with a repair and the same cover returned, but they wouldn't do that. I considered having the boat cover shop fix the hem, but that probably would have voided the warranty.

The Dowco Guardian cover is the only one I've used. Fit was perfect. Finish seemed to be except for the hem problem. Dowco stood by their product without question. I'd buy another one. Unless it's a warranty replacement.

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
jdsd-tourteam said:
Lee,

Jon
I use a small bungee cord and bend it over and just arch it to the other side. No problems. It takes just a minuet but no big deal.

·
Registered
214 Posts
LAF said:
I use a small bungee cord and bend it over and just arch it to the other side. No problems. It takes just a minuet but no big deal.
Lee,

How do you keep the antenna down with the bungee? Wrap the bungee a few times around the antenna to hold it? My antenna has no knob or loop in the end. I did not think it was that flexible. (Don't want to break it!)

Jon

·
Registered
98 Posts
I use the cover from Aerostitch...here is the ad:

"Small enough to take on all your road trips, the Ultralight Bike Cover packs into a self-storing pocket about the size of a pea (Almost). About half the size of the next smallest full-coverage cover because it’s made from a thinner, lighter fabric. The strong opaque 1.1oz siliconized ripstop nylon is still plenty tough... it’s widely used in parachutes, sailboat spinakers, kites and skysails. Keeps water and dust off your bike, too. For improving overnight security at the seediest, darkest motel parking lot (“Hey, what was that noise? Did you hear something?”), the self-storing pocket on the hem of the cover also doubles as a panic alarm holder to scare the pants off of whoever wants to take a peak at what’s below. Medium fits all sportbikes, standards, dual sports, and sport touring bikes with smaller windshields. The large size covers loaded GS1100’s, Gold Wings and other dreadnought sized machines. Stealth black. Has grommets."

I've used this cover on three motorcycles (two large cruisers and my LT). It's held up very well over the years, from Oregon coast howlers to West Texas dust storms. It was pricey when I bought it, and has only gone up...$117 now. But, it does pack into a very small package, and pretty much fits the LT. I just take the antenna off when I stop for the night and stick it on top of the LT's seat before I cover the bike.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Storage Cover for the LT

Have a Geza cover for my LT.
It's light, packs small, keeps things out of sight.
But, after extended use, the stretch gives out,
so it sags in the middle.
And it's not waterproof.

I prefer the EZ Touring Traveler.
It's a half cover that covers the top half of the bike
down below the seat.

http://eztouring.com/traveller.htm

Packs small and is waterproof.
Stays secure even in high winds.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts