BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Stopping the K1200LT with a passenger and stress

5K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  cws 
Labrat8 said:
That sounds like a great deal. Did you check the bike out in person before having it shipped?

Visually the bike appears like new and every thing supposedly works on it.

There is another 2005 bike with similar miles for $7500 but the power stand does not work and the PO was quoted $1200 just in parts to repair it.

Were there different types of K1200LTs produced in 2005 as far as options go?
You can often have a prospective purchased looked at by a fellow member of this forum. Some are more technical than others, but pretty much all know what an LT should look and feel like when running right.

You will also find that many of us do our own service, and we have tech sessions where we get together, work on our bikes, with the more experienced mentoring the less, who in turn pass it on as they become more comfortable. That is what got me from being afraid to remove the tupperware on my first LT some years ago and replacing my clutch and slave a month or so back. Better support you would be hard pressed to find.

$1200 is buying a new actuator from the stealer. Many times they can be serviced, and you will find many threads here on servicing the hydraulics and even replacing the motor. You can also find a complete center stand assembly from time to time, and they are quite easily retrofitted to pre-2005 models. The savings on the earlier models will often outweigh any slight benefit in HP, IMHO. I have had a '99, a '00, and two '05 LTs, and they were all capable mounts.

Regardless of what you end up with, welcome to the asylum! We are glad you found us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.