BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Stop n Go kudo, Avon source

Checked the LT tire pressure just a few minutes before a couple of friends showed up for a Sunday afternoon ride. No air in the rear! But there was a nail. :(

Didn't want to ride 2 up on the /6 (kinda chilly and the Gerbings needed the LT power) so I stuck a Stop n Go plug in the rear tire. First time I had used the kit on a motorcycle tire. The plug worked just fine and was pretty easy to place.

Shame, that was the last BT020 radial on the rear. I ran the Avon front/020 rear combination only for a few hundred miles. I have to say that combination is not quite as good as a matched set of 020s was.

So now I am shopping for a rear Avon Storm 160/70-17. These seem to be more expensive that I remember the rear 020 radial costing.
Any suggestions as to where to order the Avon from?

Addendum: I ordered from SWMoto... the lowest price of the few sites I checked.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
CharlieVT said:
I ran the Avon front/020 rear combination only for a few hundred miles. I have to say that combination is not quite as good as a matched set of 020s was.
What don't you like about it?

I'm running that combo right now and I love it. I put the Avon on just before a trip and then immediately put 2,000 on it, mostly on Colorado and Arizona backroads. I found the combination to be very turny and responsive, even more so than a pair of BT020s.

Regards,
-joel

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Avon/020 combo

kdog said:
I'm running that combo right now and I love it. I put the Avon on just before a trip and then immediately put 2,000 on it, mostly on Colorado and Arizona backroads. I found the combination to be very turny and responsive, even more so than a pair of BT020s.
Regards,
-joel
Good question Joel,
Not that "I didn't like it" but somehow it wasn't quite the same as a new set of radial 020s. Your question makes me think further about what I noticed. Neutral steering was maintained, so this wasn't the issue. Very stable in the corners. I guess I would say "twitchy" when going from straight and level flight to entering the turn. During the transition from straight to entering the turn, the stability seems just a little bit less than I remember a new set of matched "Stones" to be.
Aggressive riding two up (yeah we do that), Ohlins, 42lbs front, 48 rear: I found just a little more need to keep "hands on" during turn entry.
Very subjective assessment, and not a criticism. I found the combo to be very good, just not quite the same as I recalled a matched set of stones.

Maybe what I consider "twitchy" you call "turny and responsive". But my take on it was that with the combo when I had made up my mind which way we were headed, the tires still hadn't quite decided, and with the matched set of 020s the tires and I reached the conclusion at the same time. (If that makes any sense.... anthropomorphizing the tires) :) .
I have a rear Avon on order and I look forward to experiencing that set.

Thanks for asking,
Regards fron back east, the deep south of Vermont. :)

·
Registered
797 Posts
kdog said:

Regards,
-joel
I also run the same combination and I really like the Avon front tire. It runs fine and had lasted much longer than any of the previous front 020's ever did. I think it may feel a little "twichy" because it seems to start out with a lot more rubber - the treads are deeper. A brand new front 020 never looked like there was much to it tread wise so there was not much to rub off. JMO

·
Registered
185 Posts
As a member since 2002. . .

. . . you should know that you're going to lose most of this crowd using three syllable words...let alone six! :histerica

CharlieVT said:
(If that makes any sense.... anthropomorphizing the tires)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts