BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2000 euro spec K1200lt , I recently noticed that the brake light doesn't work when I apply the front brake, it works fine, however when I apply the rear brake. Ive checked fuse one, its fine. Everything else on the bike seems fine, the brakes and abs are ok.I'm reasonably handy, doing my own servicing and small repairs, with the help of Kurt's videos from the Illinois Motorrad Club, but Im not sure where to start here.
Any help the forum can offer would be greatly appreciated , Ive had a search though old post but I found myself buried in posts about abs problems.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Hi I have a 2000 euro spec K1200lt , I recently noticed that the brake light doesn't work when I apply the front brake, it works fine, however when I apply the rear brake. Ive checked fuse one, its fine. Everything else on the bike seems fine, the brakes and abs are ok.I'm reasonably handy, doing my own servicing and small repairs, with the help of Kurt's videos from the Illinois Motorrad Club, but Im not sure where to start here.
Any help the forum can offer would be greatly appreciated , Ive had a search though old post but I found myself buried in posts about abs problems.

Thanks
In a way, you are lucky to have a 1st generation K1200LT with ABS2 as these problems are much simpler to solve (compare to later IABS that controls brake switches).

On models like yours (1999-2001 for USA specs), BOTH brake switches go thru a single fuse AND a single brake light Relay. As you posted the rear brake flight / switch is working , we must conclude the problem is NOT these items (so...not the relay and not the fuse).
SO, it must be either:
(1) front brake switch defective -OR-
(2) wiring damage related to front brake switch

On ABS2, these switches are easy to test as they are "normal" logic: circuit is closed (continuity) only when brake is applied.
See 2 attached diagrams for FRONT brake switch connector location under fairing...

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
In addition to what John said, listen at the brake lever for a "click" of the micro switch. It may just be stuck or out of adjustment.

Attachments

Reactions: beech and Patric

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both for your replies. Concise, well informed and clear.
Plenty there to get me started, Ill investigate further and get back to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi again, there was no click from the micro switch when the brake was pulled, when I started to disassemble it became clear I wasn't the first to do so. The switch had been bodged together before, I called round and found one at www.motorworks.co.uk they had it to me the next day. Getting it in was a fiddly job and a bit of a swine if I'm honest, but after a few hours I got it in. Brake light works now, another trip to the dealer avoided, nothing could be more satisfying.
Thanks both for your help, without it I would have been stuck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts