BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,I found out why my heated grips don't work.
I was able to slide the after market grip off the left side.
I found the heater wire tucked up in the handle bar.
What do I need to order to get this back to stock?
Sorry about another grip thread.

Will the right side come off the same way?

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Well from this photo, there is nothing left to repair.. I think your only solution is to replace the entire unit. Maybe there is a aftermarket heater/grip you could use, otherwise you will need to go to BMW to get the $104.00 heated versions.

Found these " Hot Grips" they claim to fit 7/8" bar on the Lt. $122.95

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Bones1955 said:
Ok,I found out why my heated grips don't work.
I was able to slide the after market grip off the left side.
I found the heater wire tucked up in the handle bar.
What do I need to order to get this back to stock?
Sorry about another grip thread.

Will the right side come off the same way?

I got some from Aerostich for about $25 that I put on my wife's R1100RSL that work great. It is not too cold here in Texas so your milage may vary.

Robert

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
johnbaker15 said:
Well from this photo, there is nothing left to repair.. I think your only solution is to replace the entire unit. Maybe there is a aftermarket heater/grip you could use, otherwise you will need to go to BMW to get the $104.00 heated versions.

Found these " Hot Grips" they claim to fit 7/8" bar on the Lt. $122.95
Thank you very much..it's on the top of my list!
I'm thinking i can just tap into the wires that are there.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scouter-50 said:
I got some from Aerostich for about $25 that I put on my wife's R1100RSL that work great. It is not too cold here in Texas so your milage may vary.

Robert
That includes heater and grip?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Bones1955 said:
That includes heater and grip?

No, I reused the grips. These are basically heat strips under the grips.
Robert

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now this is strange.
I found this on e-bay and it looks just like my grip which someone thought was not stock??
But yet when I pulled mine off I found no heat pad and cut wires..what's going on?

2002 BMW K1200LT K1200 K 1200 LT heated grip

Is the heat pad inside these?
Or wrapped around the bar?

Mines a 2000.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
those are the grips on my 2K - have never looked at end of wire on mine but would think there should be a connector on the end

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gary45 said:
those are the grips on my 2K - have never looked at end of wire on mine but would think there should be a connector on the end
Cool..mine are stock then.
It would be interesting to know if the heat pad is on the bar or inside the grip on this year.
But I don't expect to pull your left one off and look..lol.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Bones1955 said:
Now this is strange.
I found this on e-bay and it looks just like my grip which someone thought was not stock??
But yet when I pulled mine off I found no heat pad and cut wires..what's going on?

2002 BMW K1200LT K1200 K 1200 LT heated grip

Is the heat pad inside these?
Or wrapped around the bar?

Mines a 2000.
That is the grip off a R1200c, I know, I twist that grip every day. I believe that the K1200LT grip can be replaced with the R1200c grip, and having experienced both it would be a substantial improvement. The heated barrel should be part of that assembly I believe, although my R1200c does not have have the heated grip so I cannot be certain.

It isn't exactly like the grip you had based on your pictures, first off the black part in between the chrome is either rubber or leather depending on the model year, it looks like that one is rubber.

I saw those grips on flea-bay and immediately knew that they were mis-tagged as K1200LT grips, but I was considering them since I like my R1200c grips soooooo much better than the ones on the LT.

I say go for it, just know that they might not mate up perfectly, or the wire might be short or something equally annoying. You do know that you will have to remove all the tupperware to replace the grips right? Also, if the ones you buy were not removed properly they are probably damaged so make sure that you are prepared for these factors on whatever you decide.

·
Registered
795 Posts
gary45 said:
The grip in the picture, the wire has been cut for easier removal. When/if you install these, if the original stock grips (see my previous post) were removed in the same haphazard manner you can just splice into the original wire and use the connector that may still be lurking under your plastic. If not, you will have to come up with a connector of your own kind, search the forums, someone did it with Radio Shack connectors which would work, but last time I was at Fry's electronics I saw some small connectors that had me thinking of all manner of exotic farkles to my bike :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys.
Not sure what i'm doing yet.
I did mange to takethe black rubbery foam off the grips and swith them around from grip to grip.
I put the badly worn right one on the left with the tear at the bottom..which I glued.
Looks a lot better now!
Seems that one on e-bay is just the left side..wish they had both.
I have plenty of wire coming out of my bars to splice something in.
I rode this bike at 40 degrees and my hands never got cold..the mirrors seem to block the wind great.
But I would like to have them working.
Then all that really will be left is to fix the cruise..which I hardly ever used on my Voyager that I had for like 13 years..lol.
Man this bike is leaps and bounds more fun!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
copperstatetour said:
That is the grip off a R1200c, I know, I twist that grip every day. I believe that the K1200LT grip can be replaced with the R1200c grip, and having experienced both it would be a substantial improvement. The heated barrel should be part of that assembly I believe, although my R1200c does not have have the heated grip so I cannot be certain.

I say go for it, just know that they might not mate up perfectly, or the wire might be short or something equally annoying. You do know that you will have to remove all the tupperware to replace the grips right? Also, if the ones you buy were not removed properly they are probably damaged so make sure that you are prepared for these factors on whatever you decide.
nice to know - a lot nicer than the heated grips that were on my K1100LT - I've seen these on other Canadian K1200LT's - option maybe? - never seen leather

checked realoem.com - they are an option (under European models which we get here)
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
copperstatetour said:

It isn't exactly like the grip you had based on your pictures, first off the black part in between the chrome is either rubber or leather depending on the model year, it looks like that one is rubber.

I saw those grips on flea-bay and immediately knew that they were mis-tagged as K1200LT grips, but I was considering them since I like my R1200c grips soooooo much better than the ones on the LT.

Just to check over this..

So mine are from R11200c ..more then likely.
They must not have been heated and the owner before put them on...so he cut the wires on the original grips.!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts