BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Kinda reminds me of that scene in "Cars" (The animated movie with Larry the Cable Guy - if you haven't seen it, you're really missing a GREAT date-night movie) where the "cars" that run the tire shop ask Speed if he knows any Ferrarris... and then turn up their noses and drive aware when he explains to them he doesn't race in "that" circuit.... :histerica :histerica

·
Registered
185 Posts
with the IRL purchasing CART and those two series re-unifying (unfortunately under the IRL name and rule set), open wheel asphalt racing may become relevant within the US again. Right now, though, the money, talent and sponsor dollars are all still gravitating to NASCAR.

It just amazes me that CART was the premier racing league here until the CART/IRL split. That opened the door for NASCAR. The France family didn't squander the opportunity and has all but killed off champ/IRL. Personally, I'm a speed freak and like both. I prefer the CART turbo, higher HP rules to the IRL rule set, but I'll watch most any race on TV.

On a related note, did you see that the France family is now getting into motorcycle racing?

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
How about AMA or Moto GP or even FIM. After all this IS a "Motorcycle Forum"
Geeeezzzzz. :rotf:

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
gfspencer said:
Which is better? Formula 1!
No processions here please. Thank you.:)

While NASCAR does have the fan base and the money, I feel the IRL has it all when it comes to REAL racing at REAL speed.

Consider the lap times at such tracks as Chicagoland, Homestead, or Indy when comparing IRL to NASCAR. To me, racing should be about the most competitive way around a given track at the greatest speed.

As some will argue the fact that those such as Montoya, aren't winning every weekend in Cup, as he has other series, indicates the toughness of the series. Agreed, but the reason it is tough to win cup races is because of all the chances that are taken on the track that result in contact, or getting caught up in midpack melee's.

I come from a Formula racing background (crew) and am biased, but I still feel the best racing bang for the buck is the fastest tightest racing available, and that is what the IRL offers.

However, I believe the IRL may be going down the wrong path of too many roadraces. Although, from my standpoint this is the most purest form of closed course racing, and not bad to view on TV, it is a horrible live spectator venue.

Time will tell on that matter.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
As John said, the REAL speed comes from IRL! NASCAR me thinks has the largest and most loyal fans out there in raceland!

Of course, NASCAR can do 200 mph, and that is pretty fast.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
pkpr1998 said:
As John said, the REAL speed comes from IRL! NASCAR me thinks has the largest and most loyal fans out there in raceland!

Of course, NASCAR can do 200 mph, and that is pretty fast.
They can go faster. A couple of years back Rusty Wallace took a non-restrictor plate car to Talledega (restrictor plate track) and put in a few hot laps. He turned somewhere near 247 mph IIRC. He said it was fun doing it alone but no way would he ever go that fast with 43 other cars on the track.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts