BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and foremost, thanks to all the wisdom that floats around here. The shear volume of good and bad (funny) information shared is great. Makes the day at work bearable :p

Now that I have sugar coated the impending question....

I had the luxury of needing to replace the RDU on "Barbara", while looking I came across a fine gentleman that had the entire stingray (mine needed replacement anyway) complete off of an '03 for sale. It comes complete with the BMW CommSystem, CD, RDU and the CB connections in the oddments box. To add insult he threw in both the FM and the CB antenna' for $500. (I ran at that price!) and paid extra to get it sooner. Either it is inop or I got it at a steal! :dance:

QUESTION:
Barbara has never had the CommSystem, BMW engineers being who they are :rolleyes: , will there be a connection issue that I may have to get into to "make it work" Again I have an '00 and this is from an '03.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Was I too wordy?

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Yes, keep quiet, we're trying to sleep! :D

There should be no issues getting it to work since it is already integrated into the Stingray with the radio unit and such. You may need to get the headset cables and have them installed for rider and passenger if they weren't included. and I can't remember if there is a separate power harness for the Comm system or if it slaves off the radio. I think the latter but am not sure.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
exactly what I needed. Looking at the install directions posted on this site, it would appear that it is "slaved" something about removing or replacing a "pin" in the harness. I will double check when I do the install to see if all the "pins" are there! Thanks again and looking forward to Cambria next year. But make sure to do it a bit bigger would ya! :rotf:

·
Registered
276 Posts
DavidTaylor said:
Yes, keep quiet, we're trying to sleep! :D

There should be no issues getting it to work since it is already integrated into the Stingray with the radio unit and such. You may need to get the headset cables and have them installed for rider and passenger if they weren't included. and I can't remember if there is a separate power harness for the Comm system or if it slaves off the radio. I think the latter but am not sure.
I think the power is separate...On my '01 my Comm System is only operational in the "KEY ON" position, while the radio functions "KEY OFF" as well. Unfortunately I know this because I was troubleshooting some bluetooth phone/Garmin 2820 issues and ran down my battery because I needed the Comm system to work. :(

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VRodPete said:
I think the power is separate...On my '01 my Comm System is only operational in the "KEY ON" position, while the radio functions "KEY OFF" as well. Unfortunately I know this because I was troubleshooting some bluetooth phone/Garmin 2820 issues and ran down my battery because I needed the Comm system to work. :(
After carful consideration, sleep and reviewing the obvious manual for the correct answer. you are correct. the comsystem is powered separately. no other issues should come up in this installation. that said thanks to all for looking and more importantly responding...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts