BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to run a audio cord from the back of the stingray to the side of the drivers seat so I can hook up headphones into the helmets so I don't have cords hanging in front of me while riding. Is this possible, and where would you get an audio cord like this, is this available at best buy etc?
Thanks for any imput.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Along those lines . . . I've seen the term stingray used before, and I thought it was the door to the compartment where the radio/cassette unit lives. Now I'm not so sure.

In addition to answering sheldan2's query about the audio cable. please clarify what the stingray is.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Tony,

The manual calls it the tank cover. Around here we call it the stingray. The oddments box is part of the stringray. Take a look at the picture.

Kevin

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Thank you, Kevin. Now I also have confirmation of what the oddments box is as well!

Is removing the stingray as simple as the diagram makes it out to be? I want to run new wires for my iPod and BlackBerry to the CO-Pilot shelf, and I see no way around the stingray.

kevincook said:
Tony,

The manual calls it the tank cover. Around here we call it the stingray. The oddments box is part of the stringray. Take a look at the picture.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
once you get all the front of the plastic off, just 4 screws holding it on, and your wiring connretions and antenna, not much to it

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I have wires running from the front of the stingray running to under the driver seat. These carry power to the GPS radar detector and carry sound back to the intercom unit. These were installed by bike's previous owner, but I need to replace them.

I upgraded the intercom unit, which lives under the pax seat. Headphone leads come out on the side of the driver seat and out the rear corner of pax seat. Easy to plug in there and cords hang behind me when riding.

Are you looking just for straight extension cord for iPOD/MP3 player to in-ear headphones, or are you looking for intercom cords? If all you want is to get an extension for your iPOD, you can find a standard 3-pole miniplug extension cord almost anywhere. I found a 10' coiled version at WalMart. Intercom headset extension cords vary in plug/wiring configuration -- I bought those from the intercom supplier.

Hope this helps.

sheldan2 said:
I would like to run a audio cord from the back of the stingray to the side of the drivers seat so I can hook up headphones into the helmets so I don't have cords hanging in front of me while riding. Is this possible, and where would you get an audio cord like this, is this available at best buy etc?
Thanks for any imput.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Uhhhhh -- all the front plastic? [he said, earlier optimism being replaced with apprehension] :eek:

sheldan2 said:
once you get all the front of the plastic off, just 4 screws holding it on, and your wiring connretions and antenna, not much to it

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Yep,

1. Remove black tip over bar covers
2. Remove chrome under tip over covers
3. Remove lower cowling in two or three pieces, your choice
4. Remove small plastic insert at seat (2 screws)
5. Remove left and right turn front turn signal housing
6. Remove left and right mirrors
7. Remove reverse lever
8. Remove left and right upper body panels.
9. Remove stingray

That's all there is.
It's not really too bad once you do it the first time.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Steve_R said:
1. Remove black tip over bar covers
2. Remove chrome under tip over covers
3. Remove lower cowling in two or three pieces, your choice
4. Remove small plastic insert at seat (2 screws)
5. Remove left and right turn front turn signal housing
6. Remove left and right mirrors
7. Remove reverse lever
8. Remove left and right upper body panels.
9. Remove stingray
Sorry Stevo, but you got a little carried away there. Steps #3 and #7 are unnecessary if one is only concerned with working on the top part of the bike, i.e. the stingray. No need taking off Tupperware if you don't hafta.

Otherwise, it's a nicely-done, concise list. :)

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
You be correctomundo, Bud. :thumb: Everytime I go in there, I'm doing more than just something on the top side.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Removing the tupperware gets easier everytime you do it,
I even had a few screws left over the first time I did it,
Then somebody posted this picture and I printed it out,
now I know where all the screws go. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
sheldan2 said:
Thanks for any imput.
BMW makes an aux audio cable that plugs into a square connector on the back of your radio. It costs roughly $50, and is the same cable used on the BMW sedans. It cuts the signal to the speakers when headphones are plugged in to the standard-sized jack. I do not think it is long enough to run all the way to the seat, so you could either run it into the oddments box and use an extension, or you could splice some wire into it.

I purchased this cable from my local dealer, but returned it because I found the autocom cable that splices into the rear speaker wires. My preference was to use the intercom so my wife can listen, too.

HTH

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
It's the first time that I'm worried about. I guess it's going to hurt a little, eh? :histerica

Seriously, thanks for the list. Now at least I have a road map to follow as I get lost... The good news is that I'm off until 02 January, and I have the Harley to ride while I try to figure out how to put the LT back together (assuming I manage to get it apart in the first place!).

Steve_R said:
Yep, [...] That's all there is.
It's not really too bad once you do it the first time.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Between this picture, and the list provided earlier, I should be good to go.

I appreciate each of you for your kind support.

SilverBuffalo said:
Removing the tupperware gets easier everytime you do it,
I even had a few screws left over the first time I did it,
Then somebody posted this picture and I printed it out,
now I know where all the screws go. :)

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
You also have to remove the two clear wind wings (under the mirrors, 3 screws each) before the side panels will come off.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Oooops! God catch Ken. Mii baadd. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
different place to mount your intercom and power jacks

Hi there, i too did not like the intercom cords for that matter the power cor at the left wing is a pain as well, so i wired them both into the piece between seat and sting ray, works really well, intercom cord goes behind my left shoulder and under my left arm to the plug and the vest power cord is right there. see attached pics

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
VERY nice! Is one of those for the intercom, or are both power outlets? Also, please identify where you obtained those nice looking fittings.
Thank you.

dodgeman88 said:
Hi there, i too did not like the intercom cords for that matter the power cor at the left wing is a pain as well, so i wired them both into the piece between seat and sting ray, works really well, intercom cord goes behind my left shoulder and under my left arm to the plug and the vest power cord is right there. see attached pics

1 - 18 of 18 Posts