BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to understand the com system's central point on the new K1600LTG. I saw the previous thread, but still had questions and did not want to "hyjack" it. Maybe I just don't understand the new terms or references.

As a reference, on my K1200LT, I installed an AutoComm that is the central point of all audio. I then get it to my helmet with a simple plug in cable to my helmet speakers. I am not concerned with speaking audio out from me to X.

As I understand it, Ref. the K1600LTG, the central point is Bluetooth capable. Does that mean that ALL audio will then go to my helmet via Bluetooth and I will need a Bluetooth capable helmet? Will some audio still be cable dependant? Are there different Bluetooth frequencies, or is all "Bluetooth" combatable?

Is the new K1600LTG communications audio cable friendly or am I limited to Bluetooth? Will I be able to use my existing helmet with AutoComm cables or will I need to rewire my helmet? Are any of the audio functions dependant on an audio cable to the helmet?

If I will be able to use a cable from the central audio point of the K1600LTG, does anyone know what type of connections will be required? Am I asking the correct questions? I looked at the attached diagram and is seems general and not specific.

I have a K1600LTG on order and would like to have a helmet that has audio connected correctly.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Dan , this was one of the comments included in the "MY GTL review from the Long Beach IMS":
From what I understand there will be no wired headsets or intercoms just Bluetooth.
People who have BMW Headsets can just buy the J & M Bluetooth module and it will plug into the speakers and mic of the BMW set.
Sounds as if Blue tooth is it. Personally I don't like it. IMHO.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Dan,
Gary hit on some of your questions so I'll add my $.02. In talking to the Dealer here I was told that the radio on the 2011 RT is the same one being used on the GTL & MOST bluetooth headsets will work. Some better then others. Also most units will fit on most helmets. Altho we will only know for sure after the bike get here. :rolleyes: Lone Star here in Austin said they would help me get the right Bluetooth set & set it up for me.

As far as cables go the bike it self will not have any place to plug your helmet in to. You should be able to put your Autocom system on the GTL & tap into the speakers as on the LT.

·
Registered
530 Posts
In preporation for the new GTL I have installed Bluetooth on all of my helmets.
2 are J&M I have to use the volume controls on the helmet and if I turn dowm the mic they get good sound.
The ones that I have not tried yet is a Cardio and the a Nolan open face.
So far the J&Ms are linking with out any problems to the Nav 4. I will try them with a I-Phone and a I-Pod later when the weather gets better.

·
Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Gary & Steve.... Bluetooth, if it works correctly should take care of my needs. I won't be pulling the Autocomm out of my K1200LT as it will most likely go to the new owner with the bike. Hate to get rid of the "Green Machine" though, as I've really come to like the unique color.

Might try to sell it to a University of South Florida (USF) local Bull as the school colors are an almost perfect match! Just need a few gold pinstripes. I live a few miles from the campus and whenever I ride over for a meeting, I get asked if I had it custom painted... oh well....

Guess the next helmet is set up for Bluetooth ..

·
Registered
268 Posts
At current, I have a Cardo bluetooth communicator in my helmet (an external clip on).

The Cardo is paired to my Zumo GPS. My mobile phone is paired to the GPS. So, the GPS acts as a hub for incoming or outgoing phone calls, dials the phone and sends GPS navigation voice signals and can send music from the built in MP3 player but I choose to have an ipod in my pocket wired to the helmet communicator and I have a wireless remote control for the ipod's volume, tracks etc. To turn up or down the volume on the Cardo, I press buttons on the side of the helmet where it's attached. I also use it to communicate with my riding buddy on his bike, as our Cardo units are also paired with each other, but he only hears me, and not my GPS, phone or music.

The bluetooth module on the bike will work essentially the same way as a hub for the various outputs from radio, ipod, gps and phone, but it sounds like unless you have a BMW System 6 communicator, you won't be able to control it from the rotary switch on the bar. Since the System 6 will not be sold in the US, we'll see how BMW will address this.

If I were you, I'd keep the Autocom in case you decide you want to use it on the GTL.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Dan: I share your concern and lack of understanding. I currently have J&M helmet headsets installed and was thinking I would just convert to J&M bluetooth which should rather easy. The previous thread on communications indicates that set up will limit some of the GTLs functions, i.e., left grip controller and music to the passenger, unless you have the BMW Communicator bluetooth. Which I'm led to belive is not available in the US. Guess we'll all have to wait and see what BMW does for the US market. Somebody correct my understanding of this - please.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Some stuff doesn't make sense... I'm not gonna get upset or jump to conclusions till I get the bike and figure things out with the owner's manual and the online community.. So, going with what we know now, let's have a look:

Looking at the chart provided by BMW, here's a list of functions that cannot be performed with an aftermarket bluetooth headset according to BMW:

1- Operate the volume of the headset from the multicontroller and mute the audio from there. :(

2- No music playback in the passenger's helmet. (This seems to mean you can pair 2 System 6 helmets to the bike, but only 1 if it's not a System 6 communicator). That sucks. :(

3- Intercom connection between rider and passenger. (This makes no sense because with the pair of Cardo's that I have, I can talk to my passenger clearly, which leads me to believe that the communicators must be paired to the bluetooth module on the bike, and then the bike b/t hub sends out the intercom signals to both rider and passenger.)

4- Navigation announcements, Nav IV --> rider's helmet. (With BMW System 6 communicator, this is possible by wire or bluetooth. With other communicators, this is only possible with a wire.)

This makes no sense.. if you pair your aftermarket communicator with the GPS, you bypass the bluetooth module on the bike and you get GPS announcements directly. So, when the brochure says you need a wire to get the GPS voice using an aftermarket system, I don't see where the wire would connect, certainly not to the GPS unit.

5- Phone call with rider's helmet. (Only possible with System 6 comm). Only true if the phone is paired with the bluetooth module on the bike. Phone can easily be paired to the aftermarket communicator.

The one function that I really want besides controlling the volume and mute from the multi controller, is music to the passenger.

I really don't want to buy 2 new helmets and 2 new communicators, $1800 for 2 helmets, plus probably another $800 for the 2 communicators..(based on Canadian prices). So, the silver lining - we hope - is that since the System 6 is not available in the US, they may allow Cardo to make available the firmware to operate the bluetooth on the bike for the Cardo G4 which can be updated by hooking it up to the USB port on your computer and a net connection. A pair of G4's go for $350 but that would sort of wipeout System 6 sales in the markets where they are available...

We shall see................

I've attached the PDF for those who haven't seen it in the other thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
This really frustrates me. If all of these limitations, BMW-only-helmets and 'bluetooth only' requirements truly come to pass, then BMW has cost itself some business. I have 3 friends on other bike boards who, like me, were considering the move to BMW with the GTL, but will not even consider it with all of these design limits. I'm sure there are plenty of folks who will just bite the bullet and switch to Bluetooth and get new helmets, etc, but we will be among them. And I suspect, many others will feel the same way. Building a new luxo-tourer like this and then essentially crippling the audio system by seriously restricting its flexibility and limiting it to a Bluetooth-only setup is poor design planning IMO.

I will watch the early release closely for possible changes, but if it stays like this, my friends and I won't even consider this bike anymore. Too bad, it would have been so easy to rectify, making it more appealing to a larger group.

·
Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
flint350 said:
This really frustrates me. If all of these limitations, BMW-only-helmets and 'bluetooth only' requirements truly come to pass, then BMW has cost itself some business. I have 3 friends on other bike boards who, like me, were considering the move to BMW with the GTL, but will not even consider it with all of these design limits. I'm sure there are plenty of folks who will just bite the bullet and switch to Bluetooth and get new helmets, etc, but we will be among them. And I suspect, many others will feel the same way. Building a new luxo-tourer like this and then essentially crippling the audio system by seriously restricting its flexibility and limiting it to a Bluetooth-only setup is poor design planning IMO.

I will watch the early release closely for possible changes, but if it stays like this, my friends and I won't even consider this bike anymore. Too bad, it would have been so easy to rectify, making it more appealing to a larger group.
I think, from what was previously said, it will be possible to connect an intercom, like the Autocomm in the same way it was done on the K1200LT. If that is the case, the only difference between what is now done on the K1200LT and the new K1600 is the "availability" of Bluetooth.

·
Registered
268 Posts
flint350 said:
Building a new luxo-tourer like this and then essentially crippling the audio system by seriously restricting its flexibility and limiting it to a Bluetooth-only setup is poor design planning IMO.
It's not going to have a wired option from BMW. However, J&M will have a bluetooth to wired option for those who want a wired headset, CB radio, etc..

I for one welcome a completely wireless system. I've had very good experiences with the most recent bluetooth commuicator for talking to my passenger, to my riding buddy on his bike, to listen to GPS instructions and to listen to music. I used to use an Autocom before switching to wireless, there are definite plusses to a wired system, but for me, getting rid of wires was the right move. (I think I spent $60 or something like that for the Autcom GPS wire to hook up the zumo to the autocom!)

From a manufacturer's point of view, I can see how they want to make sure ALL the functions work with their System 6 communicator. I just don't know if it's technically feasible for them to make the bike bluetooth system compatible with ALL bluetooth communicators on the market. It certainly seems that the rotary controller on the left switch gear needs some sort of extra firmware code in the bluetooth headset so that it works with it via the Menu switch.

Ultimately, the System 6 helmet will not be available in the US, so.. what are they going to do for us? That's what we'll have to wait and see..

I bought a Schuberth helmet last year, I don't really want to buy another new helmet so I can spend even more money on the System 6 communicator... but like I said, I'm not gonna jump to conclusions and go on a forum rant till we learn all the facts. :)

·
IBR# 366
16,555 Posts
fluffy said:
I have a wireless remote control for the ipod's volume, tracks etc.
Which remote are you using?

·
IBR# 366
16,555 Posts
Thanks. I had a Scosche remote for a previous iPod and was happy with it.

I'd like to find one that uses Bluetooth instead of a separate dock plug-in. There just isn't room for an add-on plug inside my waterproof iPhone case.

·
Registered
268 Posts
meese said:
Thanks. I had a Scosche remote for a previous iPod and was happy with it.

I'd like to find one that uses Bluetooth instead of a separate dock plug-in. There just isn't room for an add-on plug inside my waterproof iPhone case.
I noticed Scosche has a bluetooth adapter.. not sure what it does.

If you buy a K16GT or GTL, you keep the ipod in the side storage compartment and operate it from the switch gear and you see the track name listed on the TFT screen! That would be the most expensive ipod remote control ever! :)

·
IBR# 366
16,555 Posts
I know the K16 has iPod control, which is awesome, but in the meantime I gotta do something on my current GT. :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
My dealer just got back from the Las Vegas Dealer Show. He said that BMW is coming out with a universal 2 channel headset that can be used with any helmet.

·
Registered
268 Posts
iride4u said:
My dealer just got back from the Las Vegas Dealer Show. He said that BMW is coming out with a universal 2 channel headset that can be used with any helmet.

2 channel? there's no channels in bluetooth headset... I just hope it's a rebranded Cardo G4, if that's the case.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
iride4u said:
Is this what is referred to as the BMW Communicator? I talked with Arron today at BMW Motorrad USA and he confirms BMW Communicator, (not BMW helmets), will be available in US markets by March. He did not know what the price would be. I also talked with J&M. They are working something but from what I understand, it is Bluetooth dongle which will be hardwired to the radio output and then connect via Bluetooth to their Bluetooth headsets. I'm not sure why we would need to do this if the K1600 is already Bluetooth. Am I being stupid by being concerned about trying figure out what works and what doesn't on bike that nobody has yet?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts