BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I know about the horizontal engine, valves and the side stand creating smoke. When I refuel, I wait while I "disrobe" and then set it on the side stand. Never smokes, but refueling takes only a few minutes. When stopping somewhere else (shopping or whatever), I usually use the center stand and after a long time (hours even) no smoke.

When I park at the house, I always park on the centerstand.

I still (and have for some time) get smoke after extended (overnight) stays. Not 100% of the time, but, often enough to make me wonder what is going on. I don't lose enough oil to worry about, but, I hate the smoke.

Could it be valve seals or seats? I am due for a valve check so I'll be getting in there anyway.

2005LT 77K on her.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
yep halfway up the site glass on the centre stand motor off is about right, there is a little dot in the middle I keep mine there and dont get a lot of side stand smoke either

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions.

I thought my oil could be a little high, but, it is at the bottom of the sight glass after sitting overnight. I've got a slight oil leak (unrelated), so I'm watching it a little closer than normal.

One thing that occurred to me is I believe I used 5W30 oil this time. I think I usually use 10W30. A little lighter weight oil when cold??

I guess it is tolerable, but, I am hoping I'll find something.

THanks,

Joe

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
my oil is 15w50 but ambient temp here never falls below 8deg - C 46F good luck hope you sort it out

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Had a BMW mech tell me the smoke is leftover from aircraft engines (the old radials were 'primed' with oil). He was probly kidding, but it helps keep the mosquito population down.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Unless it is actually using an unusual amount of oil, I wouldn't worry about it.

John

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
I'm thinking it has more to do with where the engine stops when you shut it off more than anything else. Piston location verses open valves. Sometimes mine doesn't smoke at all & sometimes it smokes for couple of miles. In fact a few people that have followed me from work have asked me if my bike is a two stroke because it smokes so bad sometimes. :lol8:

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
saddleman said:
I'm thinking it has more to do with where the engine stops when you shut it off more than anything else. Piston location verses open valves. Sometimes mine doesn't smoke at all & sometimes it smokes for couple of miles. In fact a few people that have followed me from work have asked me if my bike is a two stroke because it smokes so bad sometimes. :lol8:
You're probably right, but it does seem time related. I can't recall ever having it smoke after putting her on the center stand at a store or restaurant. Overnight seems 50/50.

Maybe a neighbor is spraying oil in the exhaust pipe to "mess with me" :D

Can't wait til mosquito season.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Interesting, and I'm not trying to start any new oil thread. But.... I have right at 40K on my 07 and switched from BMW mineral 20-50W to syn Mobil 1 15-50W this year (two oil changes) 9K and never noticed it before.

It is not all the time and while I think it's more of a side stand issue when you either lay it over on the side stand right after switching off, or hit the starter while on the side stand or right after getting it upright? I have never seen smoke when refueling so my guess is it's more related to all the stuff posted here. That said I don't recall it before switching to syn oil? Maybe it has something to do with a few miles, but I hear this motor is the most bullet proof part of the K bikes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have an '05 LT, 35K on odo, bought used about a month ago. Never had the problem, but from what I read here, I don't think your on the right track. The oil's in the crankcase, it would have to work it's way pass the rings to get into the combustion chamber. The valve openings have nothing to do with it unless the seals are bad.
I'm completely new to the K engine so I might be missing something.
Still an interesting topic though.

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
beatnickfly said:
I have an '05 LT, 35K on odo, bought used about a month ago. Never had the problem, but from what I read here, I don't think your on the right track. The oil's in the crankcase, it would have to work it's way pass the rings to get into the combustion chamber. The valve openings have nothing to do with it unless the seals are bad.
I'm completely new to the K engine so I might be missing something.
Still an interesting topic though.
Yes, the oil settles to the crankcase, but on the way down to the crankcase it passes by the cylinders and a little will puddle behind the pistons if the bike is placed on the side stand while the oil is still draining down. This oil will then seep past the rings and into the combustion chamber causing smoke at next startup. It isn't a lot of oil that seeps by, but it doesn't take much oil to make a fair bit of smoke.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Voyager said:
Yes, the oil settles to the crankcase, but on the way down to the crankcase it passes by the cylinders and a little will puddle behind the pistons if the bike is placed on the side stand while the oil is still draining down. This oil will then seep past the rings and into the combustion chamber causing smoke at next startup. It isn't a lot of oil that seeps by, but it doesn't take much oil to make a fair bit of smoke.
Yes, I'm sure this is what's happening. The rings are only a mechanical seal & they will leak a small amount of oil over time which has to be burned on next startup. A little bit of oil can create a lot of smoke. Don't loose any sleep over it - but it is a little embarrassing at times. :)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was thinking last night, it could be my fault (I guess my SO has me trained to think that way :D ).

Coming into the neighborhood to my home, I take 2 hard lefts and I usually scrape on the first one and take the second one leaned over as well. Maybe I shift enough oil to the valve cover and it doesn't drain back.

Just a theory.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
joegottberg said:
I was thinking last night, it could be my fault (I guess my SO has me trained to think that way :D ).

I think I married your wife's sister. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Hi Joe,

Your bike is just barely broke in! ;) But I know the smokin' can be a bit unnerving. Mine has been smokin' since I got her new in '02. Now she has a few more miles on her and she is not smokin' any worse coming off the side stand as when she was new. She does use a little more oil though. I got back from a 7k trip last month and she used a whoppin' 33oz of oil. I use 20w50 ****** that meets the specs in the manual for API classification SG (disclaimer: I am a dealer buying for myself and friends). This link explains well what has been a well known issue with the flyin' brick.

Having said all this what is your oil consumption rate? Does your machine use more in local stop/go traffic than in highway riding? This is common for people to use more oil on short jaunts that require more engine starts. Have you ever over-heated the engine? A lot of nasty things happen when an engine over heats; oil is degraded and rings take a beating as well as valve stem seals.

The best indicator (IMHO) is that the oil smoke on start-up is not a problem unless the oil cunsumption is extreeme. Keep your eye on the real issue and don't let the smoke bother you. :bmw:

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks,

I haven't had a real problem with oil consumption. I have never added between changes. It is low at changes, but, still OK.

Maybe my bike has some "Harley Envy" ;)

ErnieA said:
Hi Joe,

Your bike is just barely broke in! ;) But I know the smokin' can be a bit unnerving. Mine has been smokin' since I got her new in '02. Now she has a few more miles on her and she is not smokin' any worse coming off the side stand as when she was new. She does use a little more oil though. I got back from a 7k trip last month and she used a whoppin' 33oz of oil. I use 20w50 ****** that meets the specs in the manual for API classification SG (disclaimer: I am a dealer buying for myself and friends). This link explains well what has been a well known issue with the flyin' brick.

Having said all this what is your oil consumption rate? Does your machine use more in local stop/go traffic than in highway riding? This is common for people to use more oil on short jaunts that require more engine starts. Have you ever over-heated the engine? A lot of nasty things happen when an engine over heats; oil is degraded and rings take a beating as well as valve stem seals.

The best indicator (IMHO) is that the oil smoke on start-up is not a problem unless the oil cunsumption is extreeme. Keep your eye on the real issue and don't let the smoke bother you. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
joegottberg said:

Coming into the neighborhood to my home, I take 2 hard lefts and I usually scrape on the first one and take the second one leaned over as well. Maybe I shift enough oil to the valve cover and it doesn't drain back.

Just a theory.
It isn't your fault, but I won't tell your SO that.

Your theory is incorrect. During a turn the acceleration vector is still pointing straight down through the vertical plane of the bike (not the vertical with respect to the earth) and thus the oil doesn't even know that your are turning. The only will only move to one side of the bike or the other if you lean it while it is standing still.

This is the same reason that a glass of water on an airplane doesn't spill out the side of the glass during a coordinated turn.

The fault for this lies with BMW. They should have placed the crank on the same side as the side stand so the the oil drained out of rather than into the cylinders when on the side stand. Simply a dumb design by BMW.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts