BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sharing my experience - Just completed a 15 hour day mostly ridding in the saddle with my wife for the first time. It still feels that I am moving :) Went to Yosemite national park. At approx 150miles in the day I realized that my rare tire (ME 880) was not in the best shape and had worn out close to an inch in one place. My wife was very eager and I decided to keep going.

Reached home few minutes ago and have clocked a total of 450 miles in the day. The tire has approx 15 inches of no tire left. I was worried all day about how the tire is performing. I am very surprised that the tire lasted. I will post pictures tomorrow (theoretically today).

Phew - I am planning a multi day trip to Yellow stone national park and this was just a check whether me, my wife and our LT get along well together for a all day long ride. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As promised the pics are attached.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,954 Posts
You are very lucky to be home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,162 Posts
One thing about the reinforced MEs is that even when they're compromised they still hold up pretty good. But I'd be very nervous running on that.

Sounds like you had an excellent ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree. I did say my prayers (rare for me) all day long :)

I am riding my car today to work :( I have a spare rear wheel with Bridgestone mounted on it and plan on changing it tonight. I believe I need a 17mm bolt and a torque wrench. Am I missing anything else?
 

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
Joined
·
8,176 Posts
LTFan said:
I agree. I did say my prayers (rare for me) all day long :)

I am riding my car today to work :( I have a spare rear wheel with Bridgestone mounted on it and plan on changing it tonight. I believe I need a 17mm bolt and a torque wrench. Am I missing anything else?
Just a T-25 screwdriver to remove the license plate support and you are good to go.:thumb:

I must say +1 to this: You are very lucky to be home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,231 Posts
OMFG, I just hope your missus didn't see that! :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replaced the rear with a bridgestone. Thanks for the help. This sore is awesome.

Now I am struggling to get the back trailer hitch on. It sits behind the licence plates and connects to the chassis under the two side bags. I guess I am a little tired right now. Will try it again tomorrow.
 

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
Joined
·
8,176 Posts
LTFan said:
Now I am struggling to get the back trailer hitch on. It sits behind the licence plates and connects to the chassis under the two side bags. I guess I am a little tired right now. Will try it again tomorrow.
Good call on taking a break when tired. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LTFan said:
Replaced the rear with a bridgestone. Thanks for the help. This sore is awesome.

Now I am struggling to get the back trailer hitch on. It sits behind the licence plates and connects to the chassis under the two side bags. I guess I am a little tired right now. Will try it again tomorrow.

I meant this site is awesome. Darn - Wont try typing messages over tablet again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I work till I enjoy it. After that I take a break and come back to it later when I am curious again. This way I avoid being stressed out. I do this only for things I consider - For Pleasure. I work on the bike only for learning and finding new things (for pleasure). I have found that I manage to do a lot more and enjoy it while doing it if I use this approach.

Many times I have tried opening a nut/bolt which would just not turn/open. After a while I leave it, get distracted, take a break and surprisingly I find I have new ideas to apply when I return. :eek:
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
16,574 Posts
PMitchell said:
You are very lucky to be home.
This.

I'll say it more directly: You are a moron for running that tire that far.

Yes, you made it home OK this time, but you very easily couldn't have.

Was it really worth risking your life, and more importantly, your wife's life just because it was a nice day and she was "eager"? Is avoiding a little inconvenience really worth more than your lives?

As soon as you realized the tire was worn down that bad (you said it "had worn out close to an inch in one place", which I assume means that you saw cords at that point), you should have immediately stopped the bike, parked it in a safe place, and called for a tow truck.

Do not ride a worn-to-the-cords tire, period.

It's not only stupid to do so, but extremely dangerous.

We have enough threads in our In Memoriam forum, we don't need to add another one just because it was inconvenient to stop.

My apologies if this response offends someone, but the occasional offense sure beats funeral arrangements . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,525 Posts
So, Ken, How do you really feel ? :rotf:

Ken is speaking the gospel.. A rear tire deflation on one of these at almost any speed can be fatal...

But, I've seen more than one baconized tire make it a hell of a lot farther than I thought it could....

I'm glad you lived.... Darwin may not let you do it twice......

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Cut what is left of that tire an see how thick it is not ! Then go change your shorts , because you might piss your self !
That is a big bike an much bigger with flat tire .
Bob G
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,410 Posts
That is the reason I always change my rear Metzeler BEFORE I hit the wear bars. After you hit the wear bars there is only about 100 miles left. Lucky man.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,423 Posts
meese said:
This.

I'll say it more directly: You are a moron for running that tire that far.

Yes, you made it home OK this time, but you very easily couldn't have.

Was it really worth risking your life, and more importantly, your wife's life just because it was a nice day and she was "eager"? Is avoiding a little inconvenience really worth more than your lives?

As soon as you realized the tire was worn down that bad (you said it "had worn out close to an inch in one place", which I assume means that you saw cords at that point), you should have immediately stopped the bike, parked it in a safe place, and called for a tow truck.

Do not ride a worn-to-the-cords tire, period.

It's not only stupid to do so, but extremely dangerous.

We have enough threads in our In Memoriam forum, we don't need to add another one just because it was inconvenient to stop.

My apologies if this response offends someone, but the occasional offense sure beats funeral arrangements . . .
Amish (LTFAN):
Ken's 100% correct and the expert when it comes to putting miles on tires (and expressing exactly his opinion).

I also would never ride on a tire showing cord even one up, just not worth the risk.
Please do not do that again, especially with your wife aboard.
Crashing one of these big bikes is not fun, hurting a loved one is unbearable.

A puncture can usually be noticed due to slow pressure loss but wearing thru the cord would be an instant blowout failure.
If you did not end up going down you could swerve into an oncomming car as you lose control.

Recommendations;
You should have stopped, or found a new (or used) tire, or turned around and returned home.

Double check your tires and pressure prior to each trip, even a day ride.
If I was riding solo and wanted to risk returning home, I would have reduced the tire pressure (and speed) causing the tire to wear on the outer edges, but this can be risky due to heat build up.

If you do not belong, join the BMWMOA (www.bmwmoa.org).
They publish an annual book (The Anonymous Book) you can carry with numbers of people and dealers in all areas of the world who are willing to help you. (I'm in there).

Get some numbers of those of us in Nor-Cal so you can call for help. Doug 209/7476453.
I personally have spare (used) tires, a trailer and I also have rear wheel with tire mounted (most folks with an LT would give you the wheel and tire off their personal bike). I would have gladly driven out to your location and helped you change wheels or haul you home.

If I do not see you at HDDC dinner before you leave, enjoy Yellowstone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree. I will be careful from here on. Two up riding, change of landscape (twisties instead of the straight flats) and the higher temperatures eroded the tires way more than I had expected. My daily 200 mile ride on the flats barely uses any tire and except that one worn-out spot remaining area on the tire still has over 3-4mm of tire left.

I will be in the HDDC this week. I changed the tire on Monday night, rode to work on Tuesday and visited Salt Lake City, Zion national park and Vegas from Wednesday to Sunday.

Amish.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top