BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, I've finally ridden both an LT and RT. The RT was plenty fast and handled great . even on the softest setting, the ride was real stiff. almost too stiff. Then rode a 09 LT which was real comfortable handled wee clearly not as quick as the RT but I could live with it. while i was riding, another guy's deal fell through on an 06 LT . 7500 miles. dealer says the guy bought and serviced it fanatically. has Olihns front and rear and bmw gps.. adds about 3 k in value. will olihns feel different? why are they so great? Im about to pull the trigger on it. Thanks, al

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I think it depends on you.... Try them both and see. If you are standard/normal/average etc. you might not feel a difference. I've still got the stock shocks on my 02 with 50,000 miles and the bike feels fine. My local dealer says that if he switched them out for Olans, that I would not be able to tell the difference and that my 02 shocks are good for at least another 50k....

If you weigh more than average, ride two-up etc.... the stiffer Olans might make a positive difference.

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Ohlins are that much better................pull the trigger and don't look back............you won't regret it.................. :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Ohlins change the ride and handling for the better by far. I ran them on two of my three LTs and it really transformed the bike. It's a great upgrade, I wouldn't pass up on it.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
DanDiver said:
I think it depends on you.... Try them both and see. If you are standard/normal/average etc. you might not feel a difference. I've still got the stock shocks on my 02 with 50,000 miles and the bike feels fine. My local dealer says that if he switched them out for Olans, that I would not be able to tell the difference and that my 02 shocks are good for at least another 50k....

If you weigh more than average, ride two-up etc.... the stiffer Olans might make a positive difference.

Just my .02
Dan me thinks your dealer is lying to you or ignorant. I have changed shocks on four LT's three wilburs and one Ohlins and the riders could not believe the difference. At 50k your shocks are pretty much worn out not because of how they were ridden but because of the life of the device. the big plus for me on the wilburs has been the ability to have them rebuilt instead of having to be replaced and that they can be dialed in for my weight and riding style.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Jeff, MY dealer wouldn't lie to me! :)

I wish that there was a way to do an A/B test, because I'd hate to spend $1,200 on new shocks and not be able to feel the difference. Curious why my dealer would walk away from a decent sale. He really didn't have to convince me either way as I was ready to add them. He just said that it really wasn't necessary and that mine were fine.

Guess the new owner of my bike will get to decide.... It'll be interesting to feel the difference of the K1600GTL.

·
Premium Member
7,586 Posts
jeffklt said:
Dan me thinks your dealer is lying to you or ignorant. I have changed shocks on four LT's three wilburs and one Ohlins and the riders could not believe the difference. At 50k your shocks are pretty much worn out not because of how they were ridden but because of the life of the device. the big plus for me on the wilburs has been the ability to have them rebuilt instead of having to be replaced and that they can be dialed in for my weight and riding style.
Any opinion on the Wilburs vs. Ohlins? Any pros/cons?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I changed to Ohlins at around 20K on my 05' and what a difference. Before the bike would wallow a bit on a long fast sweeper not any more! It would bottom out over speed bumps in parking lots...no more. The LT has a much more solid feeling now. I don't think the OEM's were worn out either, they felt the same as the day I brought her home (new). The bike sits up a little higher is the only negative.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
DanDiver said:
My local dealer says that if he switched them out for Olans, that I would not be able to tell the difference and that my 02 shocks are good for at least another 50k....
DO NOT listen to this man's advise! Geez, the guy lives in Florida! I think the tightest turn radius they have down there in northern Cuba is the transition from their driveways to the roads. What the hell would any of them know about suspension? They don't have curves, they don't have bumps, they don't have dips. Hell, they could use 2X4's for suspension and not know the difference. :histerica

Now, us mountain riders, we know us some chit. I have Wilbers, and it made a huge difference. Had I chose Ohlins, I'm certain I'd be just as happy. Either way, MONUMENTAL improvement.

Sorry Dan, just couldn't help myself :wave

·
Registered
32 Posts
While I agree that Ohlins or Wilburs make a difference in the way a bike handles and are rebuildable, I don't agree that they add $3,000 of value to the bike you are considering buying. The farkles that were added may have cost the original owner that much but farkles are never worth more than 50% of their original cost upon re-sale. That is unless you think they are. Don't hesitate to buy the bike for the right price. :D

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I agree that the bikes value won´t increase a great deal with the mods, but I would pay extra if Ohlins are already installed, a) to save you the hassle of installing them yourself and b) because they basically change the way the bike feels and handles.

Don´t listen to anybody who says that they don´t !

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
alrom999 said:
hello all, I've finally ridden both an LT and RT. The RT was plenty fast and handled great . even on the softest setting, the ride was real stiff. almost too stiff. Then rode a 09 LT which was real comfortable handled wee clearly not as quick as the RT but I could live with it. while i was riding, another guy's deal fell through on an 06 LT . 7500 miles. dealer says the guy bought and serviced it fanatically. has Olihns front and rear and bmw gps.. adds about 3 k in value. will olihns feel different? why are they so great? Im about to pull the trigger on it. Thanks, al
what are the asking fot the 06? The BMW nav is worth $1k new!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am new here, Just bought a used LT 01 model. Its in the shop for repairs. I have been debating on keeping the wing or selling . . 1k for one shock just about makes up my mind . I'am way out of my league. Looks like I' am a wanger for a while.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
smokinjoe, the asking was $ 11,000. i say was bcause some one grabbed it right after I left! Im daeling with Bob's in MD. they said, as the board has, that alot of LT will hit the market with the 1600 coming out.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
alrom999 said:
smokinjoe, the asking was $ 11,000. i say was bcause some one grabbed it right after I left! Im daeling with Bob's in MD. they said, as the board has, that alot of LT will hit the market with the 1600 coming out.

That's probably quite true - at least I know that my 02 with 50,000 miles and FLORIDA'S BEST UNUSED shocks will!

I know that you are correct, FMPLT, about Florida and I really do miss the mountains of WV where I grew up. Never kept a bike long enought to replace the shocks...

So my advise is to look for a slightly used bike from FLORIDA soon. You know that the stock shocks will be hardly worn out....

·
Registered
1 Posts
:bmw: alrom, I am new to this forum but I just purchased an 2008 LT. I tested everything they would let me ride and for me, a 2 up rider, the LT was perfect... Good luck

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've got OEM shocks on my Y2K with 60k miles. I would have to ride a bike with the Olins and the difference would have be a lot before I'd change. I'm with Dan on this. But to each his own.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,163 Posts
bmwriderm said:
I've got OEM shocks on my Y2K with 60k miles. I would have to ride a bike with the Olins and the difference would have be a lot before I'd change. I'm with Dan on this. But to each his own.
Just riding another LT with new shocks, not necessarily Olins, would show you how worn out yours are! Shocks degrade progressively so you don't feel the difference, but it is there...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts