BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
You never say how many miles are on your final drive. I assume a 1999 model may have quite a few miles. It will fail eventually without a rebuild. I was lucky and got 65,000 miles from mine before it failed. All of a sudden you hear a noise in the final drive you pull over and oil starts coming out. All of the drives in the LT were built with too much pre-load. This causes the metal to fatigue and then the crown wheel bearing begins to come apart. The pieces get ground up and puncture the seal and get trapped by the magnet.

If you are going to keep your LT, plan on rebuilding the final drive sometime in the future. As others have said change the final drive oil every time you change oil and pay attention to the magnet on the drain plug.

Alex

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree, not all FD units will fail. I guess I am guilty of generalizing. I am sure they built some correctly. It is my understanding that BMW subcontracted the assembly of the final drive units. My bike is a 2008 model and they did not build it correctly. So, IMHO, BMW had plenty of time to get this right. Any model year after 2002 or so should never see this type of failure.

Just saying,

alex

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.