BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
8,140 Posts
You never say how many miles are on your final drive. I assume a 1999 model may have quite a few miles. It will fail eventually without a rebuild. I was lucky and got 65,000 miles from mine before it failed. All of a sudden you hear a noise in the final drive you pull over and oil starts coming out. All of the drives in the LT were built with too much pre-load. This causes the metal to fatigue and then the crown wheel bearing begins to come apart. The pieces get ground up and puncture the seal and get trapped by the magnet.

If you are going to keep your LT, plan on rebuilding the final drive sometime in the future. As others have said change the final drive oil every time you change oil and pay attention to the magnet on the drain plug.

Alex
Not “all” FDs were built with too much preload. Clearly, far too many were, but there are many stories of factory FDs that ran a long time without failure.

· Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Just traded my LT for a new R1200RTW.

However, I have a completely checked out spare Final Drive for a 2000 which is the same as your '99 with a new crown bearing installed by a "famous" forum member from New England's Granite state. After the "surgery" he told me the original bearing was in spec except that it was over-shimmed. He installed the new bearing to the OEM Spec.

I had it in reserve if I needed it while on the road. My 2000 had 65K on the clock with no FD issues.

If you are interested in a "deal" PM me.
Paul
So how do you like the RTW? I am intrigued by the new 1250, but will probably keep my LT a few more years since I just bought an RDL seat. The lighter weight, easier maintenance and more power of the new 1250 is sure tempting though. :grin:

· Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Had multiple k's of miles on my trips overseas and for two-up it was my choice when I decided on a new ride. I've been collecting threads on RT for the past couple of years and lit the fuse when I sold my residence of 38 years. Even without the extra cash I was probably going to get a new RT. Never had a new ride before as well.

I've only put about 150 miles on it due to the weather but plan lots more this riding season. The farkeling has begun and the $$$ are flying out of the checking account :wave but that's the fun of getting what you need for the immersion into the riding experience. The local dealer suggested the 1250 but it was going to be about $4k more for the last '18 on the floor. Not a tough decision. :grin:

Loved the LT and the relatively easy maintenance, but it was time for the Alpine White R1200RTW! Traffic does slow down especially on rural roads having a white Shoei helmet as well :bike:
Relatively easy maintenance on an LT? Man, what are you smoking? And can I have some??!! :grin:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.