BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 3rd thread on sticky downshifts. To recap, my LT has 34k on it, and recently developed a sticky downshift issue.

I've bled the clutch, checked & lubed the linkage (needed it), and changed tranny oil. No joy.

When it sticks, double clutching seems to help.

The service manager at my dealer advised me to blip the throttle when I enclunter this... hold the clutch in and if the shifter sticks, blip the throttle. Tried it once today & it seemed to work. I gotta do it more to be sure this is a workaround.

Anyway, he suggested it might be sticky splines. Gawd, that wouldnt be cheap! You gotta pull the tranny & such. Heck, while you're in there, you might as well do the clutch.

Anyone experience this?

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Silverhair said:
This is my 3rd thread on sticky downshifts. To recap, my LT has 34k on it, and recently developed a sticky downshift issue.

I've bled the clutch, checked & lubed the linkage (needed it), and changed tranny oil. No joy.

When it sticks, double clutching seems to help.

The service manager at my dealer advised me to blip the throttle when I enclunter this... hold the clutch in and if the shifter sticks, blip the throttle. Tried it once today & it seemed to work. I gotta do it more to be sure this is a workaround.

Anyway, he suggested it might be sticky splines. Gawd, that wouldnt be cheap! You gotta pull the tranny & such. Heck, while you're in there, you might as well do the clutch.

Anyone experience this?
Not on my LT but fairly common on my 85K. I thought this problem had been resolved for the LT. Lets hope more knowing minds chime in.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Personally I pop the clutch at the same moment that I blip the throttle and downshift. This seems to make it very smooth at speed. You may simply need to better match your engine speed to the cycle speed so try a little higher RPM with the downshift since that's where she's headed anyway when the shift is done.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a very strange way to shift a bike. This is a chronic problem. Sometimes it shifts very well, but occassionally, it sticks.

Typical problem sequence is kinda like this:

- In 4th, 3rd or 2nd gear

- Pull clutch lever in

- Depress shfter, and it firmly resists

- Let lever out & pull it in again

- Depress shfter, and it usually drops

- Let out lever

Alternatively:

- In 4th, 3rd or 2nd gear

- Pull clutch lever in

- Depress shfter, and it firmly resists

- Continue to hold lever in, and blip throttle

- Depress shfter, and it usually drops

- Let out lever

Kinda wacky!

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Hi,
Not sure if you still have the problem but my 06' has 39,000 miles and developed the same problem. I took it to my dealer in Moncton and on to Montreal. Both dealers thought it was internal. I took it to Quebec City dealer and the mechanic was able to fix the problem in 1/2 hr. When you take off the outer plate and unhook the linkage, there is a part with a sleeve and a bolt running through. This was very sticky. He removed this part, took it apart, sanded and lubricated the inside, and my problem was solved. I have driven about 1000 miles on my way home and it's perfect. Hope this helps.
Kelly

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,157 Posts
While this may not be the cause of your problem I was wondering when you last replaced the clutch hydraulic fluid on your 99LT. This, along with the brakes system needs to be done about every 3 years.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,780 Posts
Just try hitting the shifter as you pull the clutch. If you pause at all between pulling it in fully and then hitting the shifter you will get just what you describe. Down shifting does not require a fully pulled in clutch. She will go when she's ready as you pull in the clutch. Remember you are not moving gears when you shift just a few dogs on the sides of the gears.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts