BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone,

From what I have read and have experienced, the starter relay sticks and drains the battery, which I had happen to me on the MO-370 in St. charles on my way to work. I retrived my 99 K1200LT and found out from the dealer that there are two ways to go..a standard replacement starter relay or the more expensive modified relay kit. While money is a prime concern so is not having this problem again. So for you folks that have been down this path, what is the best way to go?? Also, while I have seen the mechanics take off the paneling, I have not had the trill of doing so. I purchased a Climers repair book when I brought the bike, but it isn't much help in explaining the correct procedure for removing the paneling, is there a DVD or step by step picture book available for us babes in the woods? All help appreciated.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
likarock said:
Everyone,

From what I have read and have experienced, the starter relay sticks and drains the battery, which I had happen to me on the MO-370 in St. charles on my way to work. I retrived my 99 K1200LT and found out from the dealer that there are two ways to go..a standard replacement starter relay or the more expensive modified relay kit. While money is a prime concern so is not having this problem again. So for you folks that have been down this path, what is the best way to go?? Also, while I have seen the mechanics take off the paneling, I have not had the trill of doing so. I purchased a Climers repair book when I brought the bike, but it isn't much help in explaining the correct procedure for removing the paneling, is there a DVD or step by step picture book available for us babes in the woods? All help appreciated.
Found this in the Frame & Bodywork category in the Maintenance section of the Hall of Wisdom. Here is another post on the same procedure. Good luck - gets easier each time!! BTW, there are other posts scattered around the forums that touch on fairing removal and replace procedures.

As for the stuck starter relay - to fix it once and for all, I'd do the factory recommended replacement of that item. Ole Toad's (a '99 LT) wuz replaced in late '99 and nary a problem since.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts