BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99' KLT started to have a problem with the brake light staying on after releasing the brakes. Seems either brakes will cause the problem. Even when I turn off the bike the brake light stays on. I have to mess with the brakes to get the lights to turn off. I have cleaned the rear brake petal switch pluncher etc. But not fixed. Thanks for reading this and helping. Paul

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
PaulStaske said:
Where do I find the relay I will check it out C-A-D
Hi, Paul - I lifted this paragraph from a post I made a hunnert years ago. Hope it'll help you fix your 'always on' brake light problem. You'll have way much fun doing the fix!! ;) ;) BTW - for more reading material, do a search on "brake light relay" or "brake relay" - many threads on the problem, going back several years. Good luck, Paul.

"BTW - the electrical box isn't all that hard to git to (remove both upper fairings, mirrors, wind wings, stingray, seat bracket and gas tank). Remove just the smaller, lower compartment of the electrical condo (held in place by four philips screws); pull the fuse/relay bundle holder out and twist the bundles over for access to the keeper block that holds the motronic relay alongside the brake light relay. Bit of a pain removing the relay, unless you have 4 hands the size of Barbie's; butt you can see the lever at the bottom of the keeper that'll release the block. With the block released off the holder, you can remove the brake light relay by spreading apart the lug-grippers. Pull the relay spades out and insert the new one - the lugs will snap into the grippers; slide the keeper block back onto the fuse/relay bundle holder; and insert the holder back into it's runner - sliding everythang to the back wall of the compartment. Line up the seal-groove of the cover and tighten down the four screws. BTW - there wuz a coupla dead mini-bugs and some dust/debris inside our compartment, so I blew thangs clean with some canned air. "

·
Registered
594 Posts
PaulStaske said:
Where do I find the relay I will check it out C-A-D
Sorry. I haven't had the pleasure to work with it but it should be in the electrical box under the gas tank. Exact location there unknown to me. I would bet somebody on this forum can pinpoint you the one. BTW: There is similar thread at the bottom. Perhaps also worth reading for.

-Seppo

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
This is what it looks like when you pull it all out.

On the 2000 there are only the two switches and the one relay involved so it is either a sticking switch (front or rear) or a sticking relay. On the front (in a quiet place) you can hear the distictive "click" of the micro switch as you pull the lever. Likewise on the foot brake, you should hear a distictive "click". The little metal paddle under the adjustment bolt is the lever arm for that microswitch.

Attachments

Reactions: lloydster65

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Might as well go ahead and get an air filter and fuel filter to change out while you're in there..

That's a deep trip into the bowels of the LT...And the air and fuel filters are right there....

Not so far as a sprague clutch job.. But you're going in.... Oh, And some fuel line quick disconnects too....

It's not difficult.. Just a lot of parts to take off to get to the relay underneath the gas tank on the right side of the bike...

Good Luck

John

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe it's the relay since its either brake will cause the issue. I will have to take the bike in since I don't have the time. Thanks everyone if you think of anything else would be great.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found out what the problem is, its gummed up switches Front and Back so I ordered new switches to replace. I stopped by the BMW dealer and that was the problem.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
I see it is not listed in the parts catalog. Looking at the schematic it appears to have the terminal marking of 85,86,87 & 30 of a standard relay that you can get anywhere. May be able to find one locally at any parts house. Usually though, that is not the cause of sticking brake lights. It is usually one of the switches.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
The brake switches are clean and give out a nice click when depressed even after removal and playing with them. I do have the relay removed but haven't had sucess troubleshooting it. I'd like to return to the switches but I can't find where they disconnect from the harness. Can anyone tell me where the connection is? "Z Man", thank you

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
If you are trying to test the input from the switches to the relay then with the relay out measure 12v (key on) with the switch closed at pin 3 at the relay(green/yellow wire). If you get 12 v therewith th elever or pedal pulled/pushed and it goes away when you release the pedal/lever then the relay is bad. Try checking the relay for a short from terminal 30 and 87 if it is then the relay is bad.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
With both brake fuses in, ignit on and brake pulled/pushed- have12.5 volts at terminal #3. Release brake and get 10.5 volts at term #3.

I'm not understanding the 85,86,87 and 30. The relay and relay receptacle are marked 1,2,3,and 5. 4 is blank. At the receptacle, red is #1, Brown is #5.

Tried getting a relay at an auto parts. No go. Checked 2 BMW dealerships. They don't know which relay it takes, but 2 likely candidates are on order. It'll be at least 3 days, so in the meantime I'd like to isolate the brake switches and test them, while also saving a 100 mi round trip if either is faulty.

I'm still grappling with it and appreciate all input.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
The 85,86,87, & 30 are standard US markings on relays and they relat to BMW relay markings as 30 - 1, 86 - 3, 85 - 5 and 87 - 2. If you can find a relay at an auto parts store that will physicaly match up with yours then it should work. Terminal 1 should be hot all the time (key off). Terminal 5 is the ground for the relay coil. Terminal 2 goes to the brake lights. There should be zero volts at terminal 3 with no brake switch made. I believe you are seeing a leakage voltage from one of the switches if you see 10.4 volts and that is enough to operate the relay.

Reactions: lloydster65

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I've had a switch with an internal short that was intermittant, very frustrating and actually found it when it acted up while on the road - disconnected suspected clicking switch with bike running, brake light on - rear on a K1100 which is easy to get at - it only liked to act up when it got hot from engine heat

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Well, today pin #3 drops to 0 volts when brake is released. Continuity check of relay shows no fault. I love electrical problems. Sensitive to temp, humidity, time of day and the day of the week. I'll be replacing the relay when it arrives, then at least, can reassemble. Will speak up when the results are in. Thank you John Z and Gary.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Bet it's not going to be the relay. Probably one or both of the Micro Switches need replacing. Just went through this identical problem on my '99 and it was one of the switches even though we could hear the click on and the click off. The relay checked out as fine. Go figure.

Good luck though.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
seahabit said:
I love electrical problems. Sensitive to temp, humidity, time of day and the day of the week.
Not to mention what color corduroy pants you are wearing and whether you hold your tongue just right as you fiddle with the contacts. :rotf:

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
T.connell- I hope it's not the switches. Those things are expensive. But maybe the clicking I heard were the whales communicating at the lake. It's 6 miles away but I have sensitive ears.

Deputy- I had my game face on too and I thought I was the only one left still wearing corduroy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts