BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I bought my '02 K1200lt about a year ago, and the stereo never worked, so I went through the threads and tried all the tricks, and nothing worked, so I was faced with replacing the stereo.

I wasn't going to spend BMW money for a new factory unit, and I thought hard about the Jensen upgrades a lot of you are doing. But, what I ended up doing was something totally different, and was relatively easy, and I feel obliged to share it with others considering their options.

I bought a Millenia Marine grade radio off of eBay for $40 (No CD player, but has AUX input, USB, and SD) shipped to my door, and I bought a BMW 3 series aftermarket radio adapt kit, with antenna plug for another $10.

It was more or less as simple as installing an aftermarket stereo in a car, connect like colored wires, and plug and play. I did not have to cut up the stingray. The only thing I had to do was pull the factory head unit out (with the cassette deck) and slide the new one in. Also, I had to connect the two purple wires going to the external controls for radio power.

Stereo sounds great, and the bike looks totally factory. I'm a little concerned about opening the glovebox to control the radio, but I don't think it will happen enough to really annoy me. I can just hook my phone up to it via USB and be rocking out.

Check out the pictures, I'm curious of your opinions, and I'd gladly help any of you with technical details on the how-to. Me and a buddy did this in about 2 hours last night.

Attachments

Reactions: Bassmanls

·
Registered
977 Posts
I like it!

My '02 radio has been out (well, ONE of the four channels works) for some time now - and I have to admit I miss it - commuting to work everyday would be nicer with tunes.

Do you have specific model #'s for the radio and adapter?

EDIT - I think I see the model # as MIL-MR50 from the pic....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wiring kit is here on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220946647470 I would also assume that any car audio shop would have a similar wiring kit, it is the same one for a BMW car, from like 1988-2005 or something crazy like that.

And, the guy that I bought the stereo from has a few more: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140683336708?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649.

The stereo is the MIL MR50. I got to say I'm giddy like a schoolgirl right now about this. $50 and I'm jammin'.

·
Registered
977 Posts
hdironhead78 said:
The wiring kit is here on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220946647470 I would also assume that any car audio shop would have a similar wiring kit, it is the same one for a BMW car, from like 1988-2005 or something crazy like that.

And, the guy that I bought the stereo from has a few more: http://www.ebay.com/itm/140683336708?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649.

The stereo is the MIL MR50. I got to say I'm giddy like a schoolgirl right now about this. $50 and I'm jammin'.
Is that wiring harness plug-n-play with the stock connectors?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,245 Posts
Yes it is. I now have a Series 3 BMW and was surprized the it uses the same connector as the LT for its stereo. This is even better than the Jensen mod if you are on a tight budget and don't need external controls.

Way to go.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Interesting idea, just put a marine radio in oddments box and keep factory look. HMMMM Now all you need to do is find a remote, wired or not and replace the remote for the factory unit with it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sit said:
Interesting idea, just put a marine radio in oddments box and keep factory look. HMMMM Now all you need to do is find a remote, wired or not and replace the remote for the factory unit with it.
I went with a different brand (BOSS) and used the BMW ISO harness.
The sound is brilliant and having all four speakers working is great, iPod connection is a bonus also the cd doesn't skip but not having the handlebar controls is a little frustrating.
The remote is infrared so I have to have the lid open for it to work.
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg443/scaled.php?server=443&filename=radioremote.jpg&res=landing

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Did any of y'all look at mono units(if they are still sold)?

I cannot hear the advantages of stereo through the speakers when riding.
\
One chanel is out in my radio's amplifier.

i've been pondering just getting a mono amplifier to drive the LT's speakers.

I really only use the amplifier for audio from my Garmin which has a lack luster MP3 player.

It's been quite a few years since i found anything on FM that came close to music I've stored for MP3 playback.

Best from Tucson/
bob

PS: Not having the handle bar volume controll would be a real PITA. I find the bike's auto volume controll is good up to around 55. After that, I have to increase the volume the faster I go. Around 85 I've got the volume at max which isn't enough to overcome the noise at 85mph.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm about to install a Pioneer MVH-155UI which is simply a radio with iPod integration. It also has an I/R remote - HOWEVER - Pioneer have a wired remote option and in the US you can buy a marine grade wired remote, the CDMR-70. which with a little bracketry would offer a pretty slick looking handlebar remote.

I also have an enquiry going with PAC-Audio who make steering wheel remote interface boxes to allow the fitment of aftermarket stereos to cars with inbuilt/proprietary steering wheel controls.

They have some experience with Harley and none with BMW.

They also make a universal device that allows you to program their interface using the controls..

Now the big question - does anyone on this thread know the circuit diagram of the handlebar remote?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,245 Posts
Here you go. Suchlauf is "Seek".

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just built this little circuit to work with my new Pioneer head unit and it works a treat.

Take a look at:-

http://www.jvde.net/pioneer_wired_remote/pioneer_wired_remote.htm

I added a switch to use the MUTE button on the handlebar controls to cycle between a MUTE function and a SOURCE function.

So now I can use the handlebar controls for MUTE/SOURCE, VOL+/- and SEEK +/-

Plug in my iPod - ditch the 6 stacker in the pannier (more room!!!!) and I'm good.

Special thanks to Jeroen Van den Eynde who designed this neat little circuit.

:dance:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Looks like you got a great deal but there aren't any more listed on ebay.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's done - the new head unit fits a treat. My home brew handle bar control interface works as advertised and it looks pretty good imho.

I ended up re jigging the factory wiring as I couldn't find the room to use a 3 series converter and keep it neat and waterproof.

I covered the remote converter in heat shrink tube and tucked it in beside the head unit.

I also added 2 4 pole relays to switch the audio output from body speakers to headset - my next project is to install the bluetooth intercom system and I'll hook it into that.

I also installed 2 waterproof switches in the oddments box.

One operates the speaker select relays and the other toggles the MUTE button on the handle bar from MUTE to SOURCE so I can select Radio or iPod without having to open the oddments box on the road.

Send me a PM if you need any more information - it wasnt difficult, just a matter of referencing the forum for information, searching the web and careful study of the wiring diagram.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
hdironhead78 said:
Hi all, I bought my '02 K1200lt about a year ago, and the stereo never worked, so I went through the threads and tried all the tricks, and nothing worked, so I was faced with replacing the stereo.

I wasn't going to spend BMW money for a new factory unit, and I thought hard about the Jensen upgrades a lot of you are doing. But, what I ended up doing was something totally different, and was relatively easy, and I feel obliged to share it with others considering their options.

I bought a Millenia Marine grade radio off of eBay for $40 (No CD player, but has AUX input, USB, and SD) shipped to my door, and I bought a BMW 3 series aftermarket radio adapt kit, with antenna plug for another $10.

It was more or less as simple as installing an aftermarket stereo in a car, connect like colored wires, and plug and play. I did not have to cut up the stingray. The only thing I had to do was pull the factory head unit out (with the cassette deck) and slide the new one in. Also, I had to connect the two purple wires going to the external controls for radio power.

Stereo sounds great, and the bike looks totally factory. I'm a little concerned about opening the glovebox to control the radio, but I don't think it will happen enough to really annoy me. I can just hook my phone up to it via USB and be rocking out.

Check out the pictures, I'm curious of your opinions, and I'd gladly help any of you with technical details on the how-to. Me and a buddy did this in about 2 hours last night.

Looks like a nice install ! Off topic, what color is your LT ? in the photos it looks like Ferro Blue, my favorite. I have a Roadster that is Ferro...my LT is silver.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Back to the original post--won't pretty much any single-DIN radio work in there, as long as you have the 3-series adapter kit?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Dragonwing said:
Back to the original post--won't pretty much any single-DIN radio work in there, as long as you have the 3-series adapter kit?
Yep, you're right BUT...
to have the handlebar controls functioning is a BIG bonus.

I have swapped out my BOSS unit for a Sony just so I can use original controls. Having to open the oddments box every time you need to adjust the volume or change tracks/stations was painful and sometimes dangerous.

·
Registered
130 Posts
No one talks about my favorite feature on the stock radio, one I would hate to lose by changing to after market.

Speed controlled volume.

Adjust the volume once then just enjoy. In town It's worth it's weight in gold!

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
The increasing volume with increasing speed removes the need to take one hand off the handle bar to adjust the volume, something I do not want to give up.

some day someone who can read the schematic will be able to isolate that circuit so that it can be incorporated into replacement units.

bob

1 - 20 of 30 Posts