BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello gentlemen (and ladies). I'm a new member and first time poster, so go easy on me. Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere ad nauseum. If it has, tell me to shut up and go away. I won't be hurt.

I'm about a week away from making a final decision as to whether or not to plunk down a hunk of cash on a new 2010 RT. The timing seems right -- discount off list price on the 2010s and a very attractive finance rate which won't be available on the 2011s.

Here's my question: if you had a limited budget and had to make a choice, would you choose the built-in radio (about CDN$1300) or the Navigator IV (about CDN$1100)? I'm tempted to get neither and then add on a Zumo 660 later. I'm much more of an mp3 listener than a radio listener, anyway, and I can't live without my car gps. But I don't want to make a decision I'll regret later. Does the radio add much to resale value later?

Thanks!

Tony

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tony, I have the radio option and rarely use it. I use my Zumo for listening to music. My advice save your money for a motorcycle GPS and you will have a music, GPS, and a reliable gas gauge. Bryan.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
Toasterbottom said:
Hello gentlemen (and ladies). I'm a new member and first time poster, so go easy on me. Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere ad nauseum. If it has, tell me to shut up and go away. I won't be hurt.

I'm about a week away from making a final decision as to whether or not to plunk down a hunk of cash on a new 2010 RT. The timing seems right -- discount off list price on the 2010s and a very attractive finance rate which won't be available on the 2011s.

Here's my question: if you had a limited budget and had to make a choice, would you choose the built-in radio (about CDN$1300) or the Navigator IV (about CDN$1100)? I'm tempted to get neither and then add on a Zumo 660 later. I'm much more of an mp3 listener than a radio listener, anyway, and I can't live without my car gps. But I don't want to make a decision I'll regret later. Does the radio add much to resale value later?

Thanks!

Tony

If you have the choice save your money and get a GPS that plays MP3's and get a bluetooth headset.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to you both! I just wanted to confirm what I was thinking, but you always have these niggling doubts -- especially when it comes to something like the radio which has to be factory installed (if I understand correctly). What about the choice of the BMW installed Navigator vs. aftermarket Garmin Zumo? I understand that the Navigator is made by Garmin, but is there anything I should know about one over the other? Does the BMW installed version have a better mount or anything? Now I've hijacked my own thread from stereos to GPS's. Ooops. :)

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Hello Tony;

As pointed out before, the Zumo 660 or 665 does basically everthing that you would want it to do. I do not have the radio installed on my '09 RT - and like you, I prefer to listen to my own choice of music.

I do not think that the BMW Navigator has any advantages over the original Garmin. The mount supplied works very well, especially in conjunction with a BMR Co-Pilot shelf - or even the Z Technik mount which is situated over the steering yoke. I use one of these for my GPS, and use the BMR Co-Pilot for mounting a video camera.

I also see that you ride a scooter - so do I! Mine is an '05 Vespa PX200 - somewhat modified.

Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
378 Posts
4 yrs now I have been using a Garmin 2720 with XM and earbuds, the 2720 also has MP3 but I don't use it with all the stuff on xm. Now I thinking of letting my xm expire in april and use my android phone for GPS, XM, MP3 and just about any am/fm radio station in the country or even the world.

My near new 05 RT has a radio kit, I was thinking of installing a small amp and run my android through the bike speakers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both great replies! Okay, I think that settles it then -- no radio and no Navigator. I'll get the Zumo 660 or 665 later. Thanks for the shelf and mount links, Tony! I'd seen some references to the BMR co-pilot but hadn't googled it yet and didn't know what it was.

I guess I can trust your good opinions: one of you has a Vespa (and is named Tony!) and the other has a CB750 and I have both of those rides. Nice to meet some like-minded ppl.

Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts