BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Human Behaviour Analyst
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning Gents (and ladies if any),

Are you aware of step by step instructions for cleaning and greasing the linkage? Would like to do the job .... but I'd likely end up removing wheels and other unrelated things as I worked my way through the job .. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance,
Keir

·
Registered
698 Posts
wkclark said:
Good Morning Gents (and ladies if any),

Are you aware of step by step instructions for cleaning and greasing the linkage? Would like to do the job .... but I'd likely end up removing wheels and other unrelated things as I worked my way through the job .. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance,
Keir
Keir,

You might find the same document if you search the 'Files' section. But I converted it from a WORD file to a PDF.

Hope it helps.

Attachments

·
Human Behaviour Analyst
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Phil !!
I think that includes enough pictures that I can do the work :)
Keir

·
Registered
444 Posts
After your post, I decided I had put this off long enough. I went out and did mine. It is pretty easy. All you need to take off is the Driver footpeg plate. I also took of the reverse knob. You can twist the plate a little to reach in and take off the clip that holds the long rod to the plate. Then you take out the other clip and pop off the rod. Don't forget to do the small rod as well.

When I took them off, they looked to be pretty well greased still. But they were quite dirty, so I cleaned and re-greased anyway.

Afterwards I went out for a quick 100 mile ride. It made quite a difference in the shifting, I really didn't think it would make that much of a difference, but it did.

Oh yeah, to anyone that takes off the reverese knob, pay heed to warnings of using loc-tight. I had mine off about a month agao, didn't use loc-tight, and when I took the knob off today, the screw was loose.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I had done this over the winter & had reinstalled when I came across another post that had increased the length of the long rod by one turn on both ends (off again). This was to take some of the slack out of the shift & I found that it help with shifting, especially from 1st to 2nd.

·
Human Behaviour Analyst
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I jumped right in after supper and once I had the footpeg plate loose enough I took a peak with a very bright light.
Looked "factory new" under there.
Guess the dealer tidied it all up on one of the 2 times they had the bike split in half this spring as they worked through a rear main seal (& all the fixins) and then a whole new clutch kit in a second session.
Paying those costs has been some strong motivation to keep my nose to the grindstone at work! No goofing around for awhile yet. :rolleyes:
Although .... would be working ALOT harder and longer if the dealer hadn't been great about the whole thing ... and they were ... way to go Atlantic Motoplex !!
Keir

1 - 6 of 6 Posts