1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Last night I almost got stranded.

1999 K1200 LT (about 35K miles).

Tried to start the bike, the key would not go in then it will not move to unlock the steering and start the bike.

Finally it worked and while I was driving I felt that the steering was binding a bit so I mostly rode ins traight line.

When I got home and tried to lock the steering/handle bars either to the Left or to the Right, they will not lock and I was not able to pull the key out in that position since the steering/ignition is not locking completely.

So I packed up the key One notch & was able to pull the key out. In that position the handlebars are NOT locked, the ignition lights are off but I can still turn on the lamp above the instrument cluster.

This morning I put the bike up on the center stand and started to move the steering back and forth. At one point it locked on the right side and for a while I was not able to unlock it.

After some manuvearing it unlocked and the steering seem to be free moving but I still could not lock it to either the left or right side and thus I have to pull the key out in the same position (One click before it locks) because it refused to lock in place.

Any ideas and suggestions please?

Oh, is there anyone in Albuqurque, New Mexico who might be able to help me with this issue please? (That is where I am now).

Thank you all.
AJ

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hello everyone,

Last night I almost got stranded.

1999 K1200 LT (about 35K miles).

Tried to start the bike, the key would not go in then it will not move to unlock the steering and start the bike.

Finally it worked and while I was driving I felt that the steering was binding a bit so I mostly rode ins traight line.

When I got home and tried to lock the steering/handle bars either to the Left or to the Right, they will not lock and I was not able to pull the key out in that position since the steering/ignition is not locking completely.

So I packed up the key One notch & was able to pull the key out. In that position the handlebars are NOT locked, the ignition lights are off but I can still turn on the lamp above the instrument cluster.

This morning I put the bike up on the center stand and started to move the steering back and forth. At one point it locked on the right side and for a while I was not able to unlock it.

After some manuvearing it unlocked and the steering seem to be free moving but I still could not lock it to either the left or right side and thus I have to pull the key out in the same position (One click before it locks) because it refused to lock in place.

Any ideas and suggestions please?

Oh, is there anyone in Albuqurque, New Mexico who might be able to help me with this issue please? (That is where I am now).

Thank you all.
AJ

Are you sure you got your bike? Seriously, look for signs someone has tried to steal your bike by breaking the lock or hit the parked bike and bent the locking pin. You dont say how many miles your bike has so it could just be stuff worn out and kinda sounds like a bent or broken tumbler. Also if you have a spare key try it. Keys do wear out. Best of luck, Steve

·
Registered
425 Posts
Maybe the locking pin needs some lubrication to make it move easier?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I don't have an lt.
But I have long ago ceased to use the locking steering on any bike. I have never seen those things do anything other than jam up and make it difficult to get them unlocked.
And long ago I realized there really is no reason to lock the steering.
dc

·
Registered
343 Posts
I do say how many miles the bike has....2nd line.
Sorry, Missed that but the rest still applies. Since the key was hard to go in I am still leaning towards a broken tumbler. Of course spray everything with graphite before you start tearing stuff apart to make sure its not something sticking but in my experience if the key is straight and doesnt want to go in the cylinder something has usually come apart. Steve

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't have an lt.
But I have long ago ceased to use the locking steering on any bike. I have never seen those things do anything other than jam up and make it difficult to get them unlocked.
And long ago I realized there really is no reason to lock the steering.
dc
Not sure about other bikes, but on the LT the radio and some accessories will still power up with the key in the off but not locked position.

I'm a big fan of having my battery still charged when I come back to start my bike after a few hours (or days).:thumb:

Mark

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,899 Posts
You may be able to clear out any debris by pulling the lock tumbler. takes a little disassembly of the handle bar covers and the round cover. Would be easier with the sting ray off as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure about other bikes, but on the LT the radio and some accessories will still power up with the key in the off but not locked position.

I'm a big fan of having my battery still charged when I come back to start my bike after a few hours (or days).:thumb:

Mark
Yes the power is still going to the radio/stereo but I make sure I turn it off so it does not drain the battery.

What other option do I have till I get this fixed ??

What else is using up/draining the battery ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the photo.

What is "Sting Ray" ?

Do you think cleaning the cylinder lock with do it?

Today I went and had a new key made just to make sure it wasn't the key wearing out but that did not solve the problem.

The dealer (on the phone) said it may take 2-3 hrs to fix this, plus a new lock if needed. Too much money.

Thanks.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You may be able to clear out any debris by pulling the lock tumbler. takes a little disassembly of the handle bar covers and the round cover. Would be easier with the sting ray off as well.
Thank you for the photo. Very helpful.

What is "Sting Ray" ?

Do you think cleaning the cylinder lock with do it?

Today I went and had a new key made just to make sure it wasn't the key wearing out but that did not solve the problem.

The dealer (on the phone) said it may take 2-3 hrs to fix this, plus a new lock if needed. Too much money.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
put on bike centre stand, get a can of CRC or WD 40 put the plastic tube that comes with the can into nozzle open the key hole flap with the tube and squirt it in, give it a bloody good dose. sit on the bike and switch the key while turning the bars see if that help to free it up, I do it periodically as my bike see a lot of rain, keeps the cyl nice and free.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
"Sting Ray" is the entire centre console piece, includes the radio compartment. Need to go a way in with the fairings to get it off.... both upper sides have to come off to get at the screws, IIRC.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes the power is still going to the radio/stereo but I make sure I turn it off so it does not drain the battery.

What other option do I have till I get this fixed ??

What else is using up/draining the battery ?

Thanks.
The radio is the only one I know for sure, still a relative novice.:eek:

And you gotta do whatcha gotta do, if that's as far as it'll turn for the time being, it is what it is. A battery tender will obviously keep things copacetic for the time being. My comment was actually directed at the gentleman who makes it a habit to never lock the bars and ignition anyway. :D

Mark

·
Registered
275 Posts
put on bike centre stand, get a can of CRC or WD 40 put the plastic tube that comes with the can into nozzle open the key hole flap with the tube and squirt it in, give it a bloody good dose. sit on the bike and switch the key while turning the bars see if that help to free it up, I do it periodically as my bike see a lot of rain, keeps the cyl nice and free.
WD-40 should not be used in locks. It dries out & turns to goo which can cause the tumblers to stick. Can also attract dirt.
Locksmiths recommend using Teflon spray lubricant in locks now. The liquid and propellant evaporate, leaving behind a lubricating film. That or graphite is all that should ever be used in a lock.

Bob

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WD-40 should not be used in locks. It dries out & turns to goo which can cause the tumblers to stick. Can also attract dirt.
Locksmiths recommend using Teflon spray lubricant in locks now. The liquid and propellant evaporate, leaving behind a lubricating film. That or graphite is all that should ever be used in a lock.

Bob
Hi Bob,

So I already used WD40 in the lock, what do I do now ?

It did nothing, I still have the problem.

Thanks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi Bob,

So I already used WD40 in the lock, what do I do now ?

It did nothing, I still have the problem.

Thanks.
Regarding wd40,
I wouldn't sweat it too much, there's still a lot of locksmiths on both sides of the fence: https://www.lockpicking101.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1075&start=30

I'd read a bunch of posted opinions in the link. Many are from locksmiths. And some of them make a good point so read them and decide for yourself. Back in my misspent youth, I had a room mate who was a locksmith and gave me a good grounding in lock-lore. That's where my opinion came from. Not sure about flushing wd40 out with another product while tumbler is still on the bike, but if ya turn the bike upside down it'll be easier. :bmw:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would use carb cleaner but it is flammable, would just evaporate and has good pressure.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
wd 40 will not cause any problems I have used it for years, it sounds like you are going to have to remove the steering locking system including the barrel and ignition lock to repair the problem, it will be a good time to clean up and lube everything then.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts