BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While changing the front tire, I noticed that a Steering Damper RUBBER BUSHING about an inch in diameter and about a 1/4 " wide was split and about 1/4 of it was missing. It is located between where the bolt goes into the frame and the side of the damper. I am not sure of the part number (maybe 3) and wonder if anyone has replaced one. It looks like it just keep dust out of the lower post.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's where I got the diagram, but mine seems to look a lirttle different. I might have to remove it to see which part I need.

·
Registered
23 Posts
By a wierd coincidence I have just finished replacing the front shock on the bike. While I was in there, I removed the rear telelever damper mount and, -typical- the dampeer has no resistance whatsoever. Wanna know what i did? No? well I'm gonna tell ya anyway!

I read in a previous post that someone couldn't get the chrome shaft out of the dampener body. Curious george here took a flat bladed screwdriver and gripped it upright in a vice by the shaft. I put the slotted end of the dampener onto the driver, and undid the chrome nut at the other end of the shaft. Crafty buggers! The dampener shaft is in two halves!
I removed the shaft, topped up the cylinder with air tool light oil and reinstalled the shaft. I had to put a fair amount of pressure onto it to start the thread, but it worked and there was a ton of resistance pulling it by hand. I reinstalled the dampener and turned the forks at different speeds from slow to fast and the dampener appears to be doing it's job again. I think the oil leaks out over a period of time, just like with the rear shock. Anyways, nothing ventured nothing gained. If it leaks in the summe I will replace it.

There now, aren't you glad you carried on reading?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts