BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been riding my 02 with a dead steering damper for awhile now, really haven't noticed any difference. Is there a good reason I shouldn't do this ?

Any mechanically inclined LT riders here interested in doing a rebuild, with compensation of course ?

·
Registered
876 Posts
If your front tyre (tire) is worn or badly scalloped, and the steering damper is US, do not under any circumstances take a chance on letting go of the handlebars whilst travelling along the road. A tank slapper can develop quicker than you will ever react and you know the result of that ! I suggest you get the steering damper back in working order asap, it is there as a safety device.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny thing about that, No problem with wobble up to 38k. I bent the A- Arm replaced it ($1200) along with Olin shocks ($2200) Damper was checked at that time and was told it was good. The wobble was MUCH worse, back to dealer, Suggested new tires, bridgestones ($420),
that didnt help, front tire lasted 5K, dealer said they had problems and no longer stocked them, dampner was checked at that time and was told it was good. Replaced front tire with Metz 880 ($215) wobble is totally gone...........

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
ltlfeat said:
The wobble was MUCH worse, back to dealer, Suggested new tires, bridgestones ($420),that didnt help, front tire lasted 5K, dealer said they had problems and no longer stocked them, dampner was checked at that time and was told it was good. Replaced front tire with Metz 880 ($215) wobble is totally gone...........
My 2 cents, dealer should have at least discounted the front tire.

How are you checking the damper, sounds like when the dealer checks it they think it is Ok?
The damper will not seem to be doing anything when you move it slowly, just kicks in with sudden FAST movement.

·
Registered
498 Posts
ltlfeat said:
Ive been riding my 02 with a dead steering damper for awhile now, really haven't noticed any difference. Is there a good reason I shouldn't do this ?

Any mechanically inclined LT riders here interested in doing a rebuild, with compensation of course ?
If you get into ONE DEATH WOBBLE at low speed and survive it, you will understand why I am extremely adamite about saying....For safety, DO THIS ASAP!
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/sho...er=154752&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&vc=1

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
johnbaker15 said:
My 2 cents, dealer should have at least discounted the front tire.

How are you checking the damper, sounds like when the dealer checks it they think it is Ok?
The damper will not seem to be doing anything when you move it slowly, just kicks in with sudden FAST movement.
Doesn't kick in even when I toss the handlebars quickly with front wheel off the ground. Dealer alerted me it was leaking, not mentioning it was shot. I Gave it the test, it failed

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Cochinosucio said:
If you get into ONE DEATH WOBBLE at low speed and survive it, you will understand why I am extremely adamite about saying....For safety, DO THIS ASAP!
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/sho...er=154752&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&vc=1
Thank you for your concern but......the tank slapper is
at or around 40mph from my experience and what I've read here, so not really concerned with slow speeds
It sure would be unsafe riding without ur hands on the grips.
And.... I'm thinking many bikes don't have a damper at all Yes ? No ?

·
Registered
498 Posts
ltlfeat said:
Thank you for your concern but......the tank slapper is
at or around 40mph from what I've read here, so not really concerned with slow speeds
It sure would be unsafe riding without ur hands on the grips.
Not trying to flame you, but I can tell that you have never experienced it, at any speed.
You are correct that not all bikes have them, however, not all bikes weigh 850lbs, plus rider, plus gear. I certainly wouldn't take a rider with the dampener dead....
Going down at 20 mph can kill, and a slapper can happen with only one hand removed, and in an instant.

Do as you wish, but they designed, built and installed for a reason.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The tank slapper is the product of numerous inputs, tyre wear, tyre pressure, front end geometry, road surface, load on the bike, speed, just to name a few. Don't be too confident that you can predict the speed it can occur at, or we may all get to harvest your bike for parts, and that's the good bit ! You WILL be damaged, as a crash from this type of event is always an ugly way to fall. GET IT FIXED !!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Greetings people.

Just rebuilt mine. AU$160 for rechroming and AU$5.00 for a few seals. It's that easy.

Cheers and kindest regards

Paul Harrington
AU
E: [email protected]

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks for reminding me about this. I'm on my second LT and have experienced the wobble on both the first LT with Bridgestones (40/50 psi) and on this second LT fitted with Metzeler's (38/48 psi). On the first LT I was riding solo, reducing speed and adjusting my helmet when the wobble kicked in at around 30mph. I managed to grab onto the handlebars and kill it. The last time was only two weeks ago with my wife on the back, again slowing down and adjusting my helmet having forgotten about the first wobble. Again I managed to react quickly enough to grab the handlebars and kill it. The second wobble appeared at around 40mph. Two different bikes, two different sets of tires, two different loads, one bike with 5,000 miles the other 15,000 miles. Doesn't look like there is a pattern.

Having survived the wobble twice I am not taking any further chances. I'm going to take out that damper tonight and fix it. And remind myself to always keep at least one hand on the handlebars!

·
Registered
375 Posts
You can check this damper your self is no problem. Some one should push down your bike on the Top Case until the front tire is hanging free in the air. If you pull now your handle bar to the right and/or the left you shouldn't fell any resistance. But if you pull it in a fast mode you should be able to feel there is a resistance and slow your movement down. This would mean it is ok. If you fell any resistance, fast or slow, you should rebuild your damper.
And if you have to rebuild a damper it is quite easy. Just take it out, open it and change the inner Parts with standard sized Gaskets whish you can buy in the market, you don't need OEM parts for this repair.

Hope I could help you Guys, Manfred

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you need the two oil seals send me a PM. I have some spare.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I installed the adjustable Hyper Pro steering damper on my '99 LT. My OEM damper was leaking and basically not working when I made the switch. The good news is with this new part you might never know how good it is working when you need it. The bad news is this unit is very expensive.

If you install this unit be careful to adjust it to a low level of restriction before your first ride. You should work your way up from this point to where you feel the steering damper is doing what you want. I would give this item 4 out of 5 stars.

It should also be noted that you can get a rebuild kit for the Hyper Pro. With the OEM unit you can only replace it,

My failed damper gave no sign of a steering problem. As it has been mentioned this item is a good insurance policy.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I don't believe that the Steering damper does very much on the LT unless you have mechanical problems,.... or you like to ride without your hands on the grips.
I don't recommend either.
When I got my LT, the damper had leaked, and wasn't working so much...So...
I performed a "re-seal & re-service" with info from here =
And here =
http://www.r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14103
I Got my parts from Metric Seals Inc. Part # QHWA10-20-7/8.5 (S 10x20x7/8.5)
$ 21.50 each + shipping.
http://www.metric-seals.com/
I first used 10 W fork oil, but I found it to make the damper go to "stiff" mode too easily.
So....I did the service over, this time using 5 W fork oil to very good effect !
It still leaks some, so I just keep it wiped down.
Good luck to you !

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
harrowbmw said:
Greetings people.

Just rebuilt mine. AU$160 for rechroming and AU$5.00 for a few seals. It's that easy.

Cheers and kindest regards

Paul Harrington
AU
E: [email protected]
Paul, where did you get your seals from..? Somewhere local stock them?
cheers
Chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts