BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Schweintechnik said:
When we were developing the assembly processes & equipment for the vibration-reduction material now applied to the insides of most H-D rear fenders, I took on the same challenge in attempting to educate everyone that it was not "fender dampening" material, but "fender damping" material. I was soon overruled by someone who pulled out a dictionary and pointed out that "dampen" (and the "dampening" variant) is now generally accepted to mean to deaden, restrain, depress, or reduce amplitude.

I guess when enough people make the same mistake, it becomes acceptable. Two wrongs don't make a right, unless they are well-published.

Same thing happened to "preventive" when it became "preventative" and "orient" when it became "orientate". Next I think we'll see "supposably" in the dictionary.

Bugs the snot outta me. :rolleyes:
My absolute favorite is "dead body". What would happen if someone ever found a "live body"? :D

·
Registered
269 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Po-tay-to, po-tah-to

... when enough people make the same mistake, it becomes acceptable. Two wrongs don't make a right, unless they are well-published....
Bugs the snot outta me. :rolleyes:
Me too, with all of this, but the one that REALLY bugs me (and drives my wife bananas) is the misuse of apostrophes (eg. we have coconut's for sale; your coconut's WHAT is for sale?) - and it's (weird apostrophe exception) even showing up in supposedly respectable newspapers and magazines (online or off.) NO, PLURAL does NOT include an apostrophe!

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts
Me too, with all of this, but the one that REALLY bugs me (and drives my wife bananas) is the misuse of apostrophes (eg. we have coconut's for sale; your coconut's WHAT is for sale?) - and it's (weird apostrophe exception) even showing up in supposedly respectable newspapers and magazines (online or off.) NO, PLURAL does NOT include an apostrophe!
Another 13 year-old thread resurrected. 😂

Reactions: DRONE

·
Registered
223 Posts
Another 13 year-old thread resurrected. 😂
Yeah, but, it was a new thread back when you joined the forum in 2007. Doesn't it just make you feel nostalgic? Ahh, the good ol'days . . . .

Reactions: Voyager
21 - 27 of 27 Posts