BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Hoping someone can assist. I noticed shake and sloppy handling in my 1200LT. Checked the tire pressure and pulled on the lower front wheel stanctions while on the main stand and found about 1/4 inch of play. So my question is how do I adjust the steering head play. It is a case of tightening a nut or is the steering head shimmed?

If anybody knows is 1/4 inch normal and if not how do you adjust. Trying to save myself an dealer exorbiant dealers bill.

Practical responses appreciated as I'm new to BMW's switching from a Wing and don't have a manual.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
There is nothing that can be adjusted. The lower connection is a ball joint which rarely gives a problem. It CAN be loose though, check that the nut on it is tight. The top is an angular contact ball bearing, non adjustable.

There will always be a slight clearance in the fork slider bushings, but 1/4" at the fork ends is too much.

Don't ride until you check the lower ball joint attachment nut! If that has worked loose (it has happened before) it could cause some real grief later if not caught.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
The LT has no adjustment like that. The upper and lower bearings on the LT are both non adjustable types.

steeler34 said:
This is for an older bike but might work.
http://www.largiader.com/bearings/
If the play you are talking about is in teh steering head, it can be adjusted, keep searching the web. I have a k12Lt, and a k1. The K1 had a bunck of play and when I adjusted it it was like a new bike.

MKG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts