BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of you have replaced your brake lines;I was wondering what way most of you went;the steel braided lines or just the rubber brake lines.
I have a 2003 LT ;I know I am do ;wondering what everybody Prefers
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
GaryEm said:
I know a lot of you have replaced your brake lines;I was wondering what way most of you went;the steel braided lines or just the rubber brake lines.
I have a 2003 LT ;I know I am do ;wondering what everybody Prefers
Gary
Q.E.D

Brake Line Kit
2002 - 2010
Front/Rear
orig. w/ABS, Integrated
$234.95

Click here

BMW=Bring More Money

All kidding aside, check the threads below for other comments.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Metal-braid lines are less prone to swelling and other problems. Well worth it.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
+1 on the Spielger lines. Can be installed at home, they come in cool colors and give a much better feel when braking.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Me? I'm a HUGE fan of stainless steel braided brake lines on my bikes. Have been installing them on my go-fast rides for a number of years. However, it seems that BMW Motorrad does not share my enthusiasm. This, from last February:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59701

·
Cat Herder
1,442 Posts
bob1811 said:
+1 on the Spielger lines. Can be installed at home, they come in cool colors and give a much better feel when braking.
+1... They make a huge difference.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Just to get off topic only a little....but I've always replaced the lines on my rides as a complete set. That is, front and rear brakes, AND clutch. Does Spiegler make a model-specific clutch line for our bikes, or is it a more custom set-up? If specific, does anyone know the part number? I don't see anything offered on their web site.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Go to the Spiegler website. Click on "Brakes", then click on "Motorcycle Brake Line Kits", then select your make, model and year. Voila! They make them for all K12LTs.

I installed them on my '99 LT last summer. I definitely get a better feel with them.

Bill Edwards
Boerne, TX

·
Registered
397 Posts
Um.....clutch line, my Friend.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Dragonwing said:
Me? I'm a HUGE fan of stainless steel braided brake lines on my bikes. Have been installing them on my go-fast rides for a number of years. However, it seems that BMW Motorrad does not share my enthusiasm. This, from last February:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59701
I remember reading that thread, however I also noted last time I was at the BMW stealership that all the new bikes had SS lines on them. Sounds to me that BMW is protecting parts profits and avoiding any possible litigation by dismissing the SS lines as a retrofit.

For my money, SS are the only way to go.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,922 Posts
copperstatetour said:
I remember reading that thread, however I also noted last time I was at the BMW stealership that all the new bikes had SS lines on them. Sounds to me that BMW is protecting parts profits and avoiding any possible litigation by dismissing the SS lines as a retrofit.

For my money, SS are the only way to go.
There is a big difference in puting SS lines on an old bike designed (ABS brain algorithyms) for rubber lines and the fact that the newer bikes have SS lines and that is they were designed for them.

Now having said that...
I will be replacing my 05 lines at 10 years with the SS lines.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Stainless steel on mine Gary. I had problems with my rubber ones and put the Spiegles on. Would do it again.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Marty;maybe I can have you come and put them on for me ;just kidding;I might see guys the first of month .
Gary

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Marty;installing the lines does not bother me so much;but I am not so sure of bleeding the darn things.but I will make it work.
Gary
2003 K1200LT

·
Super Moderator
1,401 Posts
Put Speiglers on my '02 after the stock rubber started leaking. Only problem I had with their
standard K1200LT replacements were the fitting angles were off a little. Talked to them about it -
showed them pictures and even offered to drop by in Dayton to show them - they were not
interested and gave me the feeling that "we have made hundreds where to you come off telling us
that we have a problem".

I now have an '09 LT and will have a dliema when it comes time to replace them . . . :confused:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts