BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a Stebel Air Horn on my 2011 RT. Pretty easy install, especially with a purpose made wiring harness. Awesome sound! Can't wait to try it out in busy San Antonio commute traffic. Right now I have the power coming directly from the battery with the + wire coming from the switch. My question is can I run the positive wire to my FuzeBlock or should I just keep it on the battery? The harness has a built in 30amp fuze. I would prefer to run it to the fuzeblock for a cleaner install, but I don't want to exceed its capacity.

Any advice?

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,779 Posts
The Fuzeblock is rated at 30 amps. The horn in question is about 28 amps. Short blast.....probably okay but I think I would keep it as a separate circuit. You mentioned the horn button being the "+", I hope you meant the trigger signal for a relay system with the main power from the battery. Good choice of horns, darn loud. I have one on the shelf waiting to go on my K bike. I would write the "fuzeblock" people and ask them their opinion, I like your reasoning for a clean set up. I bet they would like the feed back for future product planning. Many people are using powerful horns these days.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
768 Posts
beech said:
I would write the "fuzeblock" people and ask them their opinion, I like your reasoning for a clean set up. I bet they would like the feed back for future product planning. Many people are using powerful horns these days.
It pains me to advise you that the "fuzeblock people", friend Curt Gran, was lost Saturday Jul 16th in a crash during the MN1K.

Minot Daily News

He will be missed by all that knew him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beech, yes you are correct. I followed the directions to the "T" for the install and couldn't have been more pleased at how easy it was to hook up. I think I will go ahead and keep it running to the battery. Right now I only have two accessories running off of it, the Stebel and the Fuzeblock. My Zumo is wired into the BMW GPS/accessory plug and I have HID low beams installed as well. Can't think of any other electrical items I need!

I did hear about the owner of Fuzeblocks motorcycle accident through my local club. Very sad news.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,779 Posts
steveaikens said:
It pains me to advise you that the "fuzeblock people", friend Curt Gran, was lost Saturday Jul 16th in a crash during the MN1K.
This is a sad thing, sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
palajoe said:
Just installed a Stebel Air Horn on my 2011 RT. Pretty easy install, especially with a purpose made wiring harness. Awesome sound! Can't wait to try it out in busy San Antonio commute traffic. Right now I have the power coming directly from the battery with the + wire coming from the switch. My question is can I run the positive wire to my FuzeBlock or should I just keep it on the battery? The harness has a built in 30amp fuze. I would prefer to run it to the fuzeblock for a cleaner install, but I don't want to exceed its capacity.

Any advice?

Joe
I've had mine now for I think about one year, separate circuit, supplied wiring. Cannot say enough about it. IMHO every company making scooters and motorcycles should have one as OEM!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Hi Palajoe

I was just getting ready to attach a Stebel Nautilus horn on my R1100RT

When you attached yours, did you have enough room to put it behind the front wheel in the same location as the bike's OEM horn?

If not, where did you find room to attach it?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,779 Posts
I had to mount mine on the left to the tab for a second factory horn. Still a tight fit. Careful looking around is needed and some strong hangers as that thing is heavy and prone to vibrating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
For the R1100RT it will mount fine in the OEM position, just be sure you've adjusted the angles so you have clearance for the forks. You'll probably scrape a knuckle or two installing it as the space is minimal. My 1999 RT wiring supported the horn thru its existing relay. It's a must have as the standard 99 RT horn is useless on the freeway with car windows up and drivers on their cell phones. I bought mine at last year's rally and have had no problems at all since installing it the week after the rally.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top