BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After much though and discussion with my co-coordinator, I have decided we need to cancel this gathering. The Ironhorse is allowing you to move your reservations to another date if you choose to. I moved mine to 19-23 August but I was not able to secure a move of the the event as most rooms were already booked. They said the only restriction they have is on restaurants with take out only and that they could accommodate that at Ironhorse. Also NC has a restriction on gathering of more than 100 people right now but Ironhorse was not aware of that.

This is in line with the MOA reschedule of the Fontana event. I did not have a good enough list of who was attending to try and secure rooms for us. You may have luck in finding a room if you call. Alternately you could move your reservation to the fall event 14-18 October, if you have not booked it yet. They also have a special on Sunday to Wednesday bookings where the fourth night is free so you try that as well if you can.


Hope this all passes soon so we can get back to riding and traveling again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
617 Posts
I would like for everyone who has signed up to go to post on this thread what their intentions are to help everyone decide what to do. Jan has talked with Iron Horse and we planning on rescheduling for another date this summer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,862 Posts
I would like for everyone who has signed up to go to post on this thread what their intentions are to help everyone decide what to do. Jan has talked with Iron Horse and we planning on rescheduling for another date this summer.
Good idea, Al.

Just off the phone with the Iron Horse. I was going to move it to the October SMFR dates but our cabin room and efficiency are not available for those dates.

If there is going to be a gathering of those who were planning on going to STC but on a new date we would be up for that. It's either that, pick a completely different date when y'all aren't there, or lose the entire balance - per the Iron Horse. If there was an option to get a full refund I would take it. Not a fan of their new reservation/cancellation policy but that is out of our hands.
 
  • Like
Reactions: mwnahas

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
Joined
·
4,022 Posts
I have moved my paid room in April over to my unpaid room for the SMFR in October. I plan on riding up on the Saturdays that any of you will be there for breakfast and a day ride before I ride home. If there is a cancellation on the Saturday I ride there I would stay the night.
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like I said Jean and I moved ours to 19-23 August. But if everyone else can find a better date to group up on, we would likely just book what ever room we can and join you in addition to our Aug stay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,468 Posts
Like I said Jean and I moved ours to 19-23 August. But if everyone else can find a better date to group up on, we would likely just book what ever room we can and join you in addition to our Aug stay.
I can probably book that time if a cabin is available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,468 Posts
Just moved my reservation to the August dates. See you then.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,862 Posts
Just moved my reservation to the August dates. See you then.
Moved my reservation to Aug 19-23, also.

They have updated all their mattresses to Casper, and the pull-out sofa beds in cabins have been replaced with murphy beds, also with Casper mattresses. This is a nice upgrade on their part.
 

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
Joined
·
8,178 Posts
We moved our reservations to August 20-22!
We'll see you there!
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like it was the right call as we got this from Graham County, NC today:

As a result of the countywide declaration of emergency Graham County Government has established an Emergency Mangement Committee. This committee has met this morning and the following decisions have been made and will be put into play over the coming days.

A) Effective Monday, March 23,2020 all accommodation businesses shall close for business at 12:00 noon. Accommodations defined are hotels, motels, cabins, bed and breakfasts, campgrounds, or any public rental facility that typically rents for less than one month.
B) By Friday, March 27, 2020 the following highways will be closed or have restricted access. 1) Cherohala Skyway will be closed to all traffic 2) Highways US 129 and NC 28 at Deals Gap will be restricted to local resident traffic and commercial traffic 3) US 129 at Topton will be restricted to pass through detour traffic, commercial traffic, and local resident traffic only. Once the US 74 detour is ended then US 129 will be restricted to local traffic and commercial traffic only. 4) NC Highway 28 going east from Stecoah will be restricted to local and detour traffic only and commercial traffic. Once the detour is ended NC 28 will be restricted to local and commercial traffic only. Persons travelling these highways should be prepared to show a Graham County address or proof of property ownership for non-residents to be able to enter Graham County.

We understand that this decision will impact a lot of people. It will cause people to be temporarily laid off from work. We will post information on how to file for unemployment benefits on the Graham County website. We accept that these are drastic steps to some degree but we have to do what is necessary to keep people safe. The President of the United States has asked everyone to stay home and eliminate unnecessary travel. We support that decision.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,520 Posts
Thank You John for posting about the road closures . Bummer..I have never been able to make it to A STC . We have been snow birds staying in Florida for the last 14 winters or so. The STC was usually when we here traviling back up to Michigan . This last June 21 we moved to Florida permanently. I was hoping to go this year to the STC , but I am planning on going up to Michigan around that time to get a tooth put in. I paid for it last spring, but it is working out my appointment is not going to let me make it this year either.

But I was planning to go right up thru there on my way up to Michigan. Staying off the slab only adds a day or so each way & makes it a lot nicer ride .

I road our sidecar rig down here to Florida last August on US-23 stopping in Boone NC to attend the Dan'l Boone Campout. Then in September I road my 2010 GSA down US-127 to US 27 on down:wave
 
  • Like
Reactions: saddleman

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,556 Posts
I was wondering about that. Thanks for posting this. So your going Aug 19th thru the 23rd? Looks like. Howard & Gordon and others are going Aug 19 -23rd also. Looks like i might be as well too. And August is warm enough where the wife may come this time. October is much to cold for her. We'll talk it over & call tomorrow if i remember. This Covid 19 is screwing up everything.
 
  • Like
Reactions: mwnahas

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,556 Posts
You Dog!! You traded the GTL in for a K 16 B?? I've contacted Dale at BMWMOC to test ride a Grand America. I hope I'm not creating a dilemma for myself.. LOL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
Just changed my dates to Oct 15-18. Julie was great helping me make that move. I'd aim for August, but planning to be in Oregon and Washington during much of the month.

Thanks for your work John putting this together.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,247 Posts
You Dog!! You traded the GTL in for a K 16 B?? I've contacted Dale at BMWMOC to test ride a Grand America. I hope I'm not creating a dilemma for myself.. LOL.
Traded my 2014 GTL
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,556 Posts
Just spoke with Pam. The only thing left is the Lonestar suite which is fully private but $125.00. So I booked that for Aug 19th-23rd. Not at all real fond of their no cancel policy . But. Since my wife is coming. It will be much more comfy for her.
 

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
Joined
·
8,178 Posts
Just spoke with Pam. The only thing left is the Lonestar suite which is fully private but $125.00. So I booked that for Aug 19th-23rd. Not at all real fond of their no cancel policy . But. Since my wife is coming. It will be much more comfy for her.
I'm not fond on the no cancel policy either, especially if there is a quarantine order in place. That would be considered a case of force majeure.
 
  • Like
Reactions: mwnahas
1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Top