BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day!

Old man winter. Can be long for alot of us in areas that see snow. I am in the Tahoe area and the snow comes in Oct. and stays with us until May. A lot of down time.
I spend my time working on the little things that I can do on my RT. Plan my next trip and farkle the bike a little. A few months before a long ride I work on getting the body in shape for the ride. It helps that my wife is a fitness instructor. With a bad back my biggest thing is core and back work to keep me strong. For all those out there what do you do to help keep your riding strong? Many of us I'm sure would welcome new ideas to stay in shape for those long rides.

Tony
1200Rt

A few others while I was younger. :bmw:

·
Registered
421 Posts
There is a lot to be said for staying fit for riding. Three years ago when I started to ride a motorcycle again after many years, I was around 25 pounds overweight. After a long ride, my lower back would hurt and I could never ger comfortable on the saddle. Two years ago I decided to start eating heathier and I began running on the treadmill as well as riding my bicycle. Now I am 46 years old and can easily run 3 mile per day. I am at my target body weight of 175 pounds and I feel great. Last summer I road from Dallas to Denver in one day and still felt pretty good.. There was no way I could have made it when I was 25 pounds overweight and out of shape. Beyond physical comfort, I also feel more alert and sharp like when i was in my twenties.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good Day!
For me it was my first ride on my 06Rt from Tahoe to Zion, Utah. Did a lot to the bike, seat, pegs, and much more before the trip. That trip never really felt right. Not until I addressed my bodies condition did things start to get better. The last ride to Zion, Utah was like night and day!

Tony 2006RT

·
Registered
737 Posts
Interesting question. Here's another take. Several years ago, I had a stroke. It was bad and I was told the result was, I was off motorcycles forever. With 50 plus riding years, motorcycles are my life. To say I became morose would be an understatement. Part of that result was, I really gave up for some time. Eventually, I got out of it [in my head] and really got to work on getting control of my right side so I could ride. bought a motor scooter to help re-learn' two wheels. Two years ago, I flew from Clovis, NM to Salt Lake City to pick up a 2000 RT and ride it home. Interesting ride. I learned that not exercising for a long time really hurt me but I worked through it and started to exercise more. In May of last year, my dealer got me the 2007 RT I'm on now. By July, I had already handled my first Iron Butt ride since my return to riding. I've done a few more since and really started working out. I'm 5' 8" and now back down to 160 on the nose. I'll be heading out to Jacksonville, FL in the morning for my first BunBurner Gold since returning to riding. Did I mention I'm 64?

Safe and enjoyable motorcycling is a matter of motorcycle fitness and rider fitness. One without the other is potential for disaster. Keep your scooter in it's best mechanical shape, and yourself in the best physical shape you can. It's worth the effort for both you and the bike.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
64 Posts
steveaikens said:
Interesting question. Here's another take. Several years ago, I had a stroke. It was bad and I was told the result was, I was off motorcycles forever. With 50 plus riding years, motorcycles are my life. To say I became morose would be an understatement. Part of that result was, I really gave up for some time. Eventually, I got out of it [in my head] and really got to work on getting control of my right side so I could ride. bought a motor scooter to help re-learn' two wheels. Two years ago, I flew from Clovis, NM to Salt Lake City to pick up a 2000 RT and ride it home. Interesting ride. I learned that not exercising for a long time really hurt me but I worked through it and started to exercise more. In May of last year, my dealer got me the 2007 RT I'm on now. By July, I had already handled my first Iron Butt ride since my return to riding. I've done a few more since and really started working out. I'm 5' 8" and now back down to 160 on the nose. I'll be heading out to Jacksonville, FL in the morning for my first BunBurner Gold since returning to riding. Did I mention I'm 64?

Safe and enjoyable motorcycling is a matter of motorcycle fitness and rider fitness. One without the other is potential for disaster. Keep your scooter in it's best mechanical shape, and yourself in the best physical shape you can. It's worth the effort for both you and the bike.

Ride safe.
Great story! I'm glad it worked out for you and hope I'll still be riding like you at your age. Enjoy the trip to Florida. Hope the weather is great.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I work out regularly for several reasons, but one of them is to be at my best when I'm riding. I find that I can handle the bike easier because I lift weights and I have better endurance on long rides because my muscles and skeleton have been regularly stretched. Exercise helps keep the mind sharper too. :dance:

·
Registered
368 Posts
150flyer said:
There is a lot to be said for staying fit for riding. Three years ago when I started to ride a motorcycle again after many years, I was around 25 pounds overweight. After a long ride, my lower back would hurt and I could never ger comfortable on the saddle. Two years ago I decided to start eating heathier and I began running on the treadmill as well as riding my bicycle. Now I am 46 years old and can easily run 3 mile per day. I am at my target body weight of 175 pounds and I feel great. Last summer I road from Dallas to Denver in one day and still felt pretty good.. There was no way I could have made it when I was 25 pounds overweight and out of shape. Beyond physical comfort, I also feel more alert and sharp like when i was in my twenties.

Good thread. 150flyer is obviously fitness minded being able to
run three miles per day....that's great. His point about losing excess weight
and getting to a target weight is understated in regards to feeling better and being
more fit. Loosing those extra pounds will make a huge difference in how someone feels
as well as their physical abilities and capacity to rebound and recharge after
exertion. Even if you don't workout, dieting to loose the excess weight will make
riding easier and more comfortable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I ride a bicycle year round (lucky to live in CA). At home I do do stretching, 300-400 sit ups, and weight work three times a week. I used to do a lot of push ups, but a broken shoulder from a bike accident last year and arthritis put a stop to that. I'm going on 72, weight 155 lbs, and don't think I could handle a 600 lb RT if I didn't stay fit. :dance:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good Day!

Way to go Dave. I am 53 and in the best shape of my life. Makes all the difference in my riding. Hope I'm still at it the way you are at 72!

Tony
2006 1200Rt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts